Thread: Install on Laptop w/o CD-ROM, w/o Flash Drive Boot

Beans

Question Install on Laptop w/o CD-ROM, w/o Flash Drive Boot

Hello

I need to install on my laptop that has a broken CD-ROM and from which it is impossible to boot from a USB Flash Drive (already created one via Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.7.0 that worked on other laptops but not on this one. This one does not have a BIOS option to boot from USB Flash though it IS using the latest BIOS)

So I have the Ubuntu 11.10 ISO mounted via Virtual Clone Drive. No matter if I access the WUBI in the ISO or the standalone downloadable WUBI, I do NOT get the screen on the third step in http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

Instead, I get to this screen, which requires a reboot and capacity to boot from an external device, which I cant do (see 1st paragraph).

Am i SOL ?!

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install on Laptop w/o CD-ROM, w/o Flash Drive Boot

Quote Originally Posted by outernational View Post
    Hello

I need to install on my laptop that has a broken CD-ROM and from which it is impossible to boot from a USB Flash Drive (already created one via Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.7.0 that worked on other laptops but not on this one. This one does not have a BIOS option to boot from USB Flash though it IS using the latest BIOS)

So I have the Ubuntu 11.10 ISO mounted via Virtual Clone Drive. No matter if I access the WUBI in the ISO or the standalone downloadable WUBI, I do NOT get the screen on the third step in http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

Instead, I get to this screen, which requires a reboot and capacity to boot from an external device, which I cant do (see 1st paragraph).

Am i SOL ?!

Thanks
    Download wubi.exe and save it in the same folder as the desktop CD ISO. Run wubi.exe from there and it will use the ISO.
    No need to do a virtual mount of the ISO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Download wubi.exe and save it in the same folder as the desktop CD ISO. Run wubi.exe from there and it will use the ISO.
    No need to do a virtual mount of the ISO.
    You the man! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

With the difference that you now have Wubi, not ubuntu dual boot.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    With the difference that you now have Wubi, not ubuntu dual boot.
    damn, i wasnt aware that i would end up with a crippled ubuntu on NTFS. Thread NOT solved: how do I get Ubuntu dual boot running?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can't do a real install with wubi or from windows. If you can't boot an ubuntu cd/usb you need to remove the hard drive and install it on another machine.

If you can create a separate partition then it's possible to migrate a wubi install and take over the drive that way. But you cannot partition the windows host from Wubi e.g. with gparted. It has to be something that can do it without needing a live CD obviously. Windows Vista/7 can do this, but not XP.

Beans

Question Re: Install on Laptop w/o CD-ROM, w/o Flash Drive Boot

You can't do a real install with wubi or from windows. If you can't boot an ubuntu cd/usb you need to remove the hard drive and install it on another machine.

If you can create a separate partition then it's possible to migrate a wubi install and take over the drive that way. But you cannot partition the windows host from Wubi e.g. with gparted. It has to be something that can do it without needing a live CD obviously. Windows Vista/7 can do this, but not XP.
    I am on win7. is it possible to migrate the current wubi install to dual boot? i could use something like acronis disk manager or paragon partition manager if needed.

thanks again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Use windows 7 to shrink the partition. Boot the wubi install, use gparted to create an extended partition with 2 logicals. Migrate using the script here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

Then uninstall wubi.

Note... dual booting has risks - if you do run into issues, not having the ability to boot a rescue disk could be a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Note... dual booting has risks - if you do run into issues, not having the ability to boot a rescue disk could be a problem.
    This is something to think about. You have no way of starting the computer for any type of rescue attempts. Although this applies even if you keep only win7. You still have no way to boot with win7 dvd for example.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Thanks for the warning, but the DVD-ROM will be fixed soon!