Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans

Re: Sound troubleshooting

I got stuck on the guide . I am a newbie so bear with me.

step 12
    $ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...

Aa
    $ sudo aplay -l
    [sudo] password for Pavonis:
    aplay: device_list:223: no soundcards found...

Ac
    echo "Sound cards recognized by the system:"; lspci -nn | grep --color=none '\[04[80][13]\]'; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel modules: ..*' -e '\[40[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel drivers in use: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done
    Sound cards recognized by the system:
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)
    Sound cards recognized by ALSA:
    Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:
    00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)

So as far as I can tell, my sound care is activated but then why doesn't aplay see it? What do I do now? I have Ubuntu 10.04 on a VAIO SVE151B11N.

Beans

@Pavonis, please give your Alsa Info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

Beans

Last edited by Pavonis; November 4th, 2012 at 07:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you very much for this thread and the links in the first post. I only had front sound coming out of my front-left speaker. Following the first guide and it suggested checking the plugs. My problem wasn't going to be that dumb, surely?

Well, it was and I am now a happy bunny.
    Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    These two manuals give advice for solving sound problems:

Sound Troubleshooting Guide
    (by Lkjoel and Wildmanne39)

Sound Troubleshooting Procedure
    (by Mark Rijckenberg)

If you have tried the two links without result, feel free to ask in this thread.
    I believe I'd solve the mystery of "Dummy Output" in my Acer Travelmate 6292, running Ubuntu 12.10, upgraded from 10.04, if there are tips for Ubuntu 12.10! Any tips guys??? Thank you for helping me; I feel so much muted now without THE sound!

Beans

I have a problem getting sound from Youtube. I'm using 12.10 and the latest flash. I also use ALSA (no pulse audio) and Turtle Beach PX21 usb headset.

The sound works perfectly in Skype and VLC. I've made the headset into my default audio device (at least VLC sees it as that and it works). This is the same setup that worked with my old Sony Wireless Stereo 7.1 headset on Youtube also.

What could be wrong?

Edit: I added this:
    options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x0ccd,0x0d8c pid=0x0028,0x000c
    into my modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.

Now I can get audio from my usb headset from flash videos BUT only after I make my onboard soundcard busy. I tried to change the index to 0 but that made it not work again....

Edit2: Nope lost it again for some reason..
    Last edited by nikotiini3; December 15th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Beans

I have a problem when connecting my laptop to the TV via HDMI cable...in the Sound Settings window the only device available device for output is for the internal speakers.

The thing is it worked at the beginning (I`m a newbie to Linux, running Ubuntu 12.04) but after I plugged the laptop to the TV a few times, the default sound output disappeared from Sound Settings (internal speakers weren`t working, nor headphones, only via HDMI).

While trying to search for a fix, I found this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...otingProcedure and I executed the huge command written there at Step 1 and then rebooted. And it worked (sound was coming just fine from internal speakers or headphones...but now I can`t get it to work via HDMI...which sucks.

I`ve tried logging off/on, booting with the cable attached or attaching it aftewards, connecting the cable with the TV on and off, everything looks fine in alsamixer (I`ve tried muting and the unmuting S/PDFI), I`ve also installed pavucontrol and changed the configuration to a HDMI one (tried all of them, nothing worked). This is the output from
    Code:
    aplay -l
    :

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

If you need to look at some config files or the output of other commands, please let me know.

Beans

I've just installed Lubuntu 12.10 (i'm using old netbook). Everything works, except built-in speaker. I've tried many solution found by googling, but no luck.

Of course i tried OP troubleshooting, but still no sound. Alsa recognize my sound card, and everything seems normal in alsamixer (tried to mute and unmute again).

Thanks for any help.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a5...8afc13703f0b71
    Last edited by nochtavio; January 7th, 2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: fix

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by em wai zee View Post
    I believe I'd solve the mystery of "Dummy Output" in my Acer Travelmate 6292, running Ubuntu 12.10, upgraded from 10.04, if there are tips for Ubuntu 12.10! Any tips guys??? Thank you for helping me; I feel so much muted now without THE sound!
    I upgraded from Kubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 and the frustrating "Dummy Output" problem started.

There were some files related to oss4 sitting in /etc/modprobe.d which did't exist on a second PC with working sound using the same sound card. I removed the oss4 package from the first one and sound works fine now.

So, in my case, oss4 got installed somehow and got in the way after upgrading.

Beans

I posted this problem first back in 2008 about my old x-fi xtreme gamer pci card. i figured, hey, they should have this problem fixed, its been 4 years, but, alas, was i ever wrong.

i have a creative labs xtremem music pci-e version. i am attempting to get my optical INPUT to play through my analog 5.0 OUTPUT. or even the line INPUT working, as that is not working either. i can get the sound to work with aplay | arecord with the right variables in there, but it is horrifically lagged and gets worse the longer i use it. i am attempting to use the optical spdif input on my soundcard and have the sound loop out to my analog 5.0 output on the same card. i have tried many articles and the help they have provided, but am still at the same place i was in the beginning, and that is i cannot get it to loop through with no lag. this seems to be a very common issue, and yet, there is very little help in the community on how to resolve this issue. i would love to use ubuntu full time, but with this one issue nagging me, i cannot use it full time yet. i hope that a resolution to this issue could come quickly. i know this post is over 2 years old, but the person who originally asked the question had not been answered yet. thank you for your time, and i will post anything that needs to be posted, just help a fellow out here, throw me a bone or something!!

aplay -l

$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
    card 1: Creative [HDA Creative], device 0: CA0110 Analog [CA0110 Analog]
    card 1: Creative [HDA Creative], device 1: CA0110 Digital [CA0110 Digital]
    Last edited by mörgæs; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Please calm down your language

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast