Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Sound troubleshooting

I'm loath to post asking for help but I seem to of hit a brick wall with recording on my sound card. Playback is fine and oddly enough I can hear the input (i.e the signal I want to record) mirrored in my output. I'm using an Realtek ALC269 VB on a Dell Optiplex 980 running 10.10.I've upgraded to the latest version of Alas and have tried many settings in the Alsamixer. Any pointers would be appreciated!

cheers,

Chris

Beans

I have just installed backtrack 5r2 and the audio is very distorted on playback of anything.
    Can anybody advice please?

Beans

Distorted audio

Hi i am new to linux and have tried backtrack from 4 to 5r2 but i seem to
    have distorted sound on playback be it youtube i player etc
    Can anybody help on this one?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

1) Please don't double-post
    2) The thread is meant for questions relating to one or both of the guides in the first post. It is expected that you first try troubleshooting as much as you can based on the guides.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I will now be leaving the forum i don't need this petty rubbish

Beans

hi there.

I am running an HP Pavilion Desktop system. After losing my hdd to a power supply death I am now running a Linux only system, using 11.10
    I am a linux noob, but have had success in fixing a few other bugs out, via reading the forums, and a few other helpful sites. However my sound issue is driving me nuts. After going through both methods twice, i still have no sound.
    Here is my alsa info.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=2a...955d3edd607330
    And after reading through this thread to see if any of the comments matched my problem i saw that my alsamixer does not show what the other's show.
    Screen shots are attached.

Basically, I am trying to get ubuntu to use my ONBOARD sound in lieu of trying to use my ati radeon hd5770 graphics card. I think hope this may fix my problem, but not sure, so any help is greatly appreciated.
    if any other info is needed, i will provide it.

Thanx,

MrW
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

@MrWeeds: See if using the latest version of ALSA helps: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS

Beans

This is what i done and it works fantastic now.

The first thing you'll have to do is get rid of PulseAudio:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa gnome-alsamixer sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio vlc-plugin-pulse
    Then you'll need to put the following configuration file into your user home directory. Save it as ".asoundrc":
    Code:
    pcm.!default { type plug slave.pcm { type asym playback.pcm { type route slave.pcm "dmix:0" ttable.0.0 0.66 ttable.0.1 0.33 ttable.1.0 0.33 ttable.1.1 0.66 } capture.pcm "hw:0" } }
    Log out and log in again, then open a terminal window and run the following test:

Code:
    speaker-test -t wav -c 2
    This will play back two sound clips ("front left" and "front right"). You should be able to hear both clips on either channel, with one being slightly louder than the other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    @MrWeeds: See if using the latest version of ALSA helps: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS
    I downloaded the drivers, and when the software center opened up, it stated that that the latest drivers were already installed. I reinstalled them, rebooted, and no sound..

I noticed that the drivers were written? for the i386 architecture, when my computer is 1686. I wonder if this may be part of the problem.

thanks for your help

MrW

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by takka360 View Post
    This is what i done and it works fantastic now.

The first thing you'll have to do is get rid of PulseAudio:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa gnome-alsamixer sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio vlc-plugin-pulse
    Then you'll need to put the following configuration file into your user home directory. Save it as ".asoundrc":
    Code:
    pcm.!default { type plug slave.pcm { type asym playback.pcm { type route slave.pcm "dmix:0" ttable.0.0 0.66 ttable.0.1 0.33 ttable.1.0 0.33 ttable.1.1 0.66 } capture.pcm "hw:0" } }
    Log out and log in again, then open a terminal window and run the following test:

Code:
    speaker-test -t wav -c 2
    This will play back two sound clips ("front left" and "front right"). You should be able to hear both clips on either channel, with one being slightly louder than the other.
    I did the first step, and it said that it was unable to locate package apt-get and purge (see screen shot)

so i went to the second command, and got an "event not found" message. (see scree shot)

ugh, this is frustrating. While I LOVE linux, and LOVE trouble shooting, i am becoming a defeatist. lol Thank you for your assistance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast