Distro
    Xubuntu

Sound troubleshooting

These two manuals give advice for solving sound problems:

Sound Troubleshooting Guide
    (by Lkjoel and Wildmanne39)

Sound Troubleshooting Procedure
    (by Mark Rijckenberg)

If you have tried the two links without result, feel free to ask in this thread.
    Last edited by mörgæs; April 1st, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Re: Sound troubleshooting

I recently installed mythbuntu on an older PC I had lying around. Everything seems to be working great, I can play video in HD, but can't get any sound out of my onboard sound. I followed both guides, as well as tried several other things from google searching to no avail. My speakers are on and working - I plugged them into my phone and got sound immediately.

I did have another sound card that I blacklisted - it was for HDMI out from my video card - which is weird because it doesn't have HDMI out (RADEON HD 2600 PRO)

As far as I can tell, everything is configured and recognized, there's just no output coming from my sound card. Super frustrating!

here's my alsa output:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=b9...fcc53a1ecfbd95

I'm a relative noob, but I'm pretty committed to this as I really want to drop satellite and cable and switch to OTA and Boxee. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Try playing with some of the controls in alsamixer:
    http://alsa.opensrc.org/FAQ004

Beans

So here is my problem ( I tried the troubleshooting but didn't help me out):
    I am running Ubuntu 10.4 lucid lynx on my sony vaio vgn-fw11m laptop, and since a long time the internal jack plug is broken (fysically broken, nothing to do about it). So I have bought an external USB audio device, the steelseries siberia.

Now this usb device used to work perfectly, ubuntu inmediately recognised it and it was fully functional untill...
    It wasn't anymore. the connected usb device is now not recognised anymore by my laptop, I mean it isn't visible in sound devices (output) anymore. When I disconnect and reconnect the thing a few times it seems to pop up in output-devices, but a second after it pops up the computers' screen goes black, and the only thing left to see is the cursor. basically my computer completely freezes and I have to restart it.
    Of course when restarted, the usb sound device is nowhere to be seen.

This sucks. my laptops speakers are crap (only one is working properly anyway) and as for now I have no way to play something on my laptop and listen to it.

anyone have an idea what the problem/solution could be?

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi, welcome to the fora.

We need a few more data points here. Do you get sound in a live boot of 11.10?
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks mörgæs, for your fast answer and the welcoming words
    I'm kind of ashamed to say this but thought it could prevent another idiot from making the same mistake:
    It wasn't a software problem!
    The cable connecting the usb device to my pc was broken it seems, nothing on the outside but a bad connection. Now using a different one and everything works fine again.
    Only question that remains is why, after de- and reconnecting the usbdevice with the broken cable a few times, my computer would freeze into black screen.. This still kind of bugs me..
    but hey, I can listen to music again so I guess my worries are over.
    Thanks very much anyway, I'll be sure to make a better troubleshooting next time before posting here

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You are welcome. Good that you got it solved.

Beans

After installing Ubuntu 11.10 there is no sound.
    Sound card is detected, listed and selected.

I followed guides and at some point I ended without sound card recognized, so I run command to reinstall sound drivers.

Nothing is solved.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c5...eb83109419bb7c

Beans

Hi!

I've started using Ubuntu 11.10 recently (i.e, this morning) and iI'm having issues with the sound as well.

I have sound if I boot from the live cd, but if I boot from the hard drive it can't find a soundcard. I have onboard audio enabled in the BIOS and when i run lspci it sees it just fine.

The audio device listed under lspci is "nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio". I googled it and it seems to be an issue that a bunch of people have, and I followed the guides in the first post but they either didnt work or didnt follow through.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Achillean View Post
    Hi!

I've started using Ubuntu 11.10 recently (i.e, this morning) and iI'm having issues with the sound as well.

I have sound if I boot from the live cd, but if I boot from the hard drive it can't find a soundcard. I have onboard audio enabled in the BIOS and when i run lspci it sees it just fine.

The audio device listed under lspci is "nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio". I googled it and it seems to be an issue that a bunch of people have, and I followed the guides in the first post but they either didnt work or didnt follow through.

Thanks in advance!
    You followed procedure Ae right?

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast