Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans

Re: Sound troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I can't say if it works better, worse or the same. Again: Testing and reporting bugs is the only way to go.
    I have a TimelineX so I would be able to contribute to the power consumption plus any other issues and if I have any audio bugs it will be closely looked into..... How do I go about updating? I see the daily build but how do I get started?

PS Do you see anything in my previous troubleshooting posts.... any idea to fix?
    Last edited by Simeo; February 16th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
    64-Bit Ubuntu 12.04 (NEVER buy an HP laptop)

Beans

My audio device doesn't work in ubuntu 10.04. But, it works fine with windows. I have uploaded the information about my audio device as listed in some posts.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=17...cca5ab47b1c811

Please help me with this problem

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Simeo View Post
    I see the daily build but how do I get started?

PS Do you see anything in my previous troubleshooting posts.... any idea to fix?
    Just create a bootable USB stick from the ISO and boot. Works like any other Buntu release.

I didn't see anything strange, but then again I'm not expert in sound.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by avitriumph View Post
    My audio device doesn't work in ubuntu 10.04. But, it works fine with windows. I have uploaded the information about my audio device as listed in some posts.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=17...cca5ab47b1c811

Please help me with this problem
    Old software and new hardware don't mix. Best you can do is a fresh install of 12.10.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

My audio is still not working after booting from Win7. It works perfectly fine in Windows but going back to Ubuntu doesn't work. Audio works in Live USB and audio works after a fresh install BEFORE trying to dual boot to Windows but after one visit to Win7 and back to Ubuntu, my audio is gone.

Filed a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...o/+bug/1130410
    64-Bit Ubuntu 12.04 (NEVER buy an HP laptop)

Beans

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I'm running an HP dv7t-3300 with Ubuntu 12.10 installed. My audio plays fine out of the speakers, but when I plug in headphones, sound plays through both the speakers and the headphones at the same time. I wasn't too sure as to where I could post, and this seemed to be a somewhat appropriate thread.

My information as according to alsa-info.sh is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5a...28dafb035f35db

Any and all help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This problem has been haunting Buntu for a long time, and unfortunately the solution is different for each brand of computers. Here is one which is close to yours:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1658689

Also, have you tried if the problem is solved in 13.04?
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 13th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Beans

Ahh! Thank you mörgæs! This fixed the problem! I seem to have the same issue as the other user with the subwoofer no longer working, but this is a fair compromise. Thanks again for your help!

(I haven't tried running 13.04 yet, I'll have to prepare for a clean install, I've been meaning to do one for a while now anyways.)

Beans

I have been struggling to get the sound working on my machine for about 18 months now.
    I have a Gigabyte motherboard (GA P67A-UD3R-B3) with inbuilt sound (HDA Intel PCH using a Realtek ALC889 chipset) and an i5 CPU. I am running Ubuntu 12.10
    I have tried so many different tutorials/how tos/trouble shooting guides that I have lost track. Tonight I carefully worked my way through the trouble shooting guide by Lkjoel and Wildmanne39 which is listed at the start of this thread. Still no success. All I want is bog-standard stereo in and out. I have a pile of vinyl, a very good turntable and a pre-amp which I would like to use to convert my record collection into OGG Vorbis files. Frustratingly I have a very cheap netbook with Ubuntu 12.04 which works fine with Audacity, it just sounds lousy.
    I have tried LinuxMint, bootable CDS, bootable USBs all with no success.
    Is there something about the Gigabyte motherboard which makes it impossible to get sound from Linux?

In desperation...
    Cheers
    Ian
    Last edited by ibchristie; March 26th, 2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

I am using the ATI HD 6790 2x cards I have the correct open source default driver in ubuntu 12.10 gullium 0.4? Bunt. I have done sound-test in comand terminal it showing sound setting and such. So I am assuming in my case sound works.

speaker-test 1.0.25

Playback device is default
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 192 to 2097152
    Period size range from 64 to 699051
    Using max buffer size 2097152
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 524288
    was set buffer_size = 2097152

Yet doesn't under system UI for sound it does not give me the option to send sound through the HDMI passthrough to the big screen vizio 37in. I am assuming either I have to add the option somehow or I am not allowed. meaning I will have no sound and Will be forced back to windows.

Under windows installing ATI drivers and CCC also installed a sound option to send sound through the HDMI connector. you were also given the option of telling it which cards HDMI you wanted to send it through under sound device manager. Why doesn't the opensource do the same thing since lot of us use our tvs as both screen and sound and do not have extra speakers to plug into the sound card jacks.

ATI installer didn't work and corupted the desktop forcing me to reinstall ubuntu 12.10 each attempt took 2 hours(watched a 2 hour movie on PS3.) for the ATI to go through install proccess only to say at the end ubuntu didn't recognize some of the fonts and gave me only 2 choices in changes to retry with. your not given the choice beforehand. of which font type you wanted to try.

I also have a desktop larger than screen issue on the same vizio 37 in tv this is for another thread. have a 21 in weshinghouse no issues with size larger than screen.

I thanks in advance any help that would help get me up and running . Oh I am not familiar with command terminal command terminal is going to be difficult for me period, I am visually spacially oriented intellegent (different skill set due to type of dyslexia with short term memory ) You give me a complicated visual UI and I will figure out on my own even though I never used it before, as long as it actually works correctly. Give me a book of commands of ubuntu and I will be lost for a year problably.

Doityourselfer
    thanks.

PS. I gave the heads up on me as a means to let you know how My brain works so that your not wasting time trying to tell be to do something that preys on my weaknesses. If it is comand related I will need direct copy and paste options and how to undo it without having to uninstall everything and start over for the 14th time in 3 days at about 16 hrs a day.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast