Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sound troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by iljajj View Post
    Hi, I'm running 11.10 on a Panasonic CF-30, and recently upgraded from 11.04. However, I'm still quite new to Ubuntu, having migrated from OS X.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo
    Last edited by MoreOrLess; January 6th, 2012 at 01:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    Ah yes, I KNEW I'd forgotten something (sorry):
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=35...49e224b5acf3ee

Beans

Moved this thread outside this sticky, where it didn't belong in the first place - apologies for that:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1905254
    Last edited by iljajj; January 6th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would file a bug on Launchpad, since this is a regression.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
    I would file a bug on Launchpad, since this is a regression.
    I see a number of similar bugs filed already, so I don't think I'll bother. That probably means that no one is able to solve it; regretfully, that also means that Ubuntu's probably out of the door for me, since I can't really work with the speaker blaring all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You could also continue with 11.04 for as long as it is supported. It is not uncommon that the second-latest Buntu release is superiour to the latest.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    You could also continue with 11.04 for as long as it is supported. It is not uncommon that the second-latest Buntu release is superiour to the latest.
    I might do that if the rollback isn't too complicated. However, after a bit of getting used to I rather like Unity in 11.10 - more than either Unity in 11.04 or Gnome 2, to be honest. I'm wondering if upgrading to a beta of 12.04 might be worth a try, though.

The key might be in editing the alsa-base.conf file, but the problem is finding the right definition. I've posted a similar question in the Panasonic Toughbook forums, will report here if that produces anything.
    Last edited by iljajj; January 7th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by iljajj View Post
    I'm wondering if upgrading to a beta of 12.04 might be worth a try
    12.04 is in Alpha now. I would recommend that you do a parallel install and not an upgrade, since it is ... well, an Alpha.

If you report a bug against 12.04, it is more likely that it gets fixed than for 11.10.
    Last edited by mörgæs; January 7th, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Bug fixing
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    12.04 is in Alpha now. I would recommend that you do a parallel install and not an upgrade, since it is ... well, an Alpha.

If you report a bug against 12.04, it is more likely that it gets fixed than for 11.10.
    Thanks for that. I might tough it out until 12.04 beta becomes available. The point is that 11.10 is quite a bit snappier both in booting the system and in starting applications, than 11.04 used to be. And I've actually come to appreciate unity now that I can use the Equinox theme (yes, aesthetics ARE important to me).

Unless I can find a solution, I may restort to cutting the speaker altogether by disconnecting it (not too hard in a Toughbook) and reconnecting it once it's possible. I don't like audio feedback anyway, and I rarely use it for other purposes.

Beans

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so I disconnected the speaker. The problem is gone for now, but so is my speaker. I'll return to the issue it when I move to 12.04, because a solution for 11.10 doesn't look likely in the near future.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast