Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans

Re: Sound troubleshooting

still, no help on this matter? it seems that no one knows how to fix it, as it is a very very very very common issue with sound in ubuntu. or, people know how to fix it, but are too damn lazy to bother to try and contribute back to the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I can promise you one thing: A post like this will not get you further. Please calm down if you want to continue posting here.

Not all hardware vendors are eager to support Linux, so the task of writing a driver can be big. It is not a question of being lazy.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Creative Labs is one of the worst contributors to the Linux community and is just a litigious hornets nest. They're more interested in making money with patents/lawyers than with advancing technology because their relevancy is rapidly decreasing.

Beans

Gurus. Does anyone here has a reliable script to mute/unmute microphone?
    I found one at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1977064, but it does not mute my usb logitech micrphone.

Beans

Question Re: Sound troubleshooting

Hi ! Im also having huge difficulties on configuring the sound system on Ubuntu 12.04 and get it to work properly.

I need Jack and Pulseaudio work side by side or switch between them. I found a solution by installing Pulseaudio-module-jack. But this technique is not good for me. I cant see my hardware devices, and moreover many applications stopped working. For example "Desktop Recorder" could not record Jack/audio streams. I have tried selecting various channels in the "Advanced -> Sound" , but it is always resulting in crash with various error codes.
    I have also posted three more questions regarding to this same issue. Please have a look at them -

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25096...m-the-left-and

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25069...-lts-x86-linux

http://askubuntu.com/questions/25050...service-aka-ja

But still no replies. Please help.

Beans

Hi helpful folks.

I've tried many of the suggestions listed in those two guides, but nothing has helped. I also asked this question yesterday in the Absolute Beginners category. I've gotten no response yet, so I thought I'd see if one of the 'heroes' lodging in this forum could stop me from feeling so low... there's a lot of scary monsters in my terminal now...

Here's my original question

I just upgraded (complete reboot, backing up my files) from Ubuntu 10.04 to Lubuntu 12.10. I have an older laptop, and finally realized that the Xub/Lub series is the series for me.

HOWEVER I have not yet gotten any sound out of my laptop. I first tried Xubuntu 12.10 - everything was a little slow (again: it's an older laptop), and there was no sound. So then I installed Lubuntu 12.10, which seems to run GREAT, except STILL no sound.

I've followed many threads of advice, given to me by the Great Googlegod, but nothing has helped. Sometimes, when muting/unmuting via alsamixer, the speaker will pop/click, but no satisfaction.

I've been using Ubuntu on this for a few years, with no real issues (except an increasing sluggishness, hence my upgrading to Lubuntu 12.10).

This seems to be an issue with Xub and Lub 12.10, maybe even 12.04 (based on my googling), and maybe Ubuntu, as well. I actually put Xubuntu 12.10 on a hand-me-down EVEN OLDER Sony Vaio laptop, and it seemed to work fine... so it's something particular with this model, maybe?

My computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-792L.

now, for some newer info, from working on it tonight:

result of aplay -l:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC260 Analog [ALC260 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC260 Digital [ALC260 Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And then there's this:

Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9c...8b23db37514e8a

THANK YOU so much, in advance, for whatever you can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It seems like a regression bug, which should be fixed.

Have you tried 13.04 (alpha)? If this one is also failing you could post a question in the development forum. People there can help you check if it's a true bug, which should be reported to the developers.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks for the tip, Morgaes (I don't know how to find umlauts on my keyboard)

I tried Lub 13.04 from a live CD, and a speaker-test still got me nothing. So, with a heavy heart, I re-installed Ub 10.04, and was greeted by the cheery drums and choir I know so well.

I will post my stats in the development forum, but mostly for the developers' sakes, since I'm afraid that whatever fix I'd have to do is beyond my abilities.

(I suppose I actually don't know if the problem is the 12.x/13.x series, or something Xub/Lub, since I never tried Ub 12.x/13.x on my laptop - but I know Unity would make it break down in tears).

-FFMcF

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In case people are following, here is the thread for 13.04:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2113961

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It seems like a regression bug, which should be fixed.

Have you tried 13.04 (alpha)? If this one is also failing you could post a question in the development forum. People there can help you check if it's a true bug, which should be reported to the developers.
    The poster has admitted he's reasonbly new to all this and you're telling him to enter a bear pit of manic fanbois?
    Last edited by GuiGuy; February 9th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast