Thread: VLC sees, but does not play ProRes HQ files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

VLC sees, but does not play ProRes HQ files

Using Ubuntu 15.04,32bit,VLC ver 2.2.0

Any ideas on how to get VLC to run Prores HQ files?

VLC sees the ProRes HQ files, but they will not play. Using the mouse/slider I can see any individual frame. I tried the suggestion of increasing File Caching to 2000 (Tools>Preferences>[Show Settings-select all]>[scroll to Select Input Codecs]>[Scroll to Advanced/File Caching - chg frm 300 to 2000]), but no success.

SMPlayer plays the Prores HQ files. VLC with some tweaks plays my Blu-ray discs.

Beans

Re: VLC sees, but does not play ProRes HQ files

does it play the 1st. sample here? - (AppleProRes442.mov
    http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/HCPA/
    (- I've only 2 samples here, one is apcn, the other apch & vlc plays both.

Beans
    Distro

No, but your post caused me to think a little more.

VLC on my PC did play the prores files in the past. I am guessing that my tweaks to get VLC to play Blu-ray discs somehow interferes with VLC operating properly. I went to VLC on my laptop where I have not made the tweaks, and it plays yours and my prores files just fine.

So help on this may be difficult. Of course, I could re-install VLC on my PC, but then I would lose Blu-ray capability.

I still remain open to suggestions for what I might do to get VLC to have both Blu-ray and normal function capability?
    Last edited by mark bower; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:50 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mark bower View Post

I still remain open to suggestions for what I might do to get VLC to have both Blu-ray and normal function capability?
    You may lay out what you did to vlc, here i no longer have a blu-ray drive available so would have no clue as to what you did do..

Beans
    Distro

Since i have the luxury of 2 PCs and a laptop, i am going to: 1) make no more changes to VLC on my laptop so it will process ProRes files, and 2) make no more VLC changes to the PC so it will play Blu-ray discs, thoh it can no longer play ProRes files. I do not have a BD read/writer for the 2nd PC, so after upgrade to 15.04 it will be dedicated to only playing ProRes files.