Thread: wifi connection between ubuntu and olympus om-d

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

wifi connection between ubuntu and olympus om-d

hello,

i have an Olympus OM-D EM-10 which I can connect (wifi) to a smartphone (to use the latter as a remote control, to upload pics to the phone, etc).

I can obviously establish a wifi connection between the camera and Ubuntu 14.04...though I don't know whether there's anything i can do with it...

...for instance: would a wifi connection allow me to browse the camera's memory card + upload photos to the pc? if it would, what kind of software would i need to make it work?

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: wifi connection between ubuntu and olympus om-d

OK, I got somewhere:

a) I connect Ubuntu to the Olympus wifi,
    b) I type on Firefox the address 192.168.0.10
    c) and I see what you see at the pic in attachment (the photos stored in the camera's memory card).

though it's hardly a great solution: I can view the photos in the browser all right, though I can't batch-upload them to the pc (only one by one and after opening each of them).

is there a chance i can do that through "browse network > windows network"? I tried but when i double-click on windows network nothing happens...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi, i have the same problem.
    There is a nice guy "Mauricio Jost" who has writen a script to download the files direct from the camera. All type of files!
    I have found him on a forum at "DPreview".
    He publiced his work on "github"
    He owns a M10 as well.
    Google for it.
    We are still in conversation by email, he wants to improve some functions.
    My camera is a Olympus OM D E M10 mark 2, computer is desktop with Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS 64. I use a temporary usb dongle for communication with the camera. You have to establish peer to peer communication. Not by home network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

You could try using gPhoto it does support some Olympus cameras or you could follow the instructions and email the developers.
    To report a not yet supported camera to the gphoto development team follow the instructions below:
    • If it a USB mass storage based camera (appearing like a USB stick or USB drive) it is mounted by your operating system and not gphoto2. In this case a report to us is not necessary.
    • Record the output of lsusb to get the USB ids.
    • Record the output of gphoto2 --auto-detect to see if it is detected in a generic way, or by another name. If it is detected already, run the steps below:
    • Record the output of LANG=C gphoto2 --summary >summary.txt to get generic summary information into the summary.txt file.
    • Record the output of LANG=C gphoto2 --list-all-config >config.txt to get the configuration tree into the config.txt file.
    • Record the output of gphoto2 --capture-image to see if capture works already.

Mail the output results with the camera name to gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net.
    http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Maybe see if you can discover the protocol it uses to transfer files to the phone. FTP? Samba? Or something else ...

gPhoto shows promise.