Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

Beans

Re: bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

Im getting this also, only after upgrade to 11.10. Any solutions yet?

Beans

Re: bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

Quote Originally Posted by bignellrp View Post
    Im getting this also, only after upgrade to 11.10. Any solutions yet?
    I have lately also got problems with X. Cannot click in windows. Can write in the active window but not change focus. Can use menu, but not anything else.

I'm almost sure now this is a hardware error. I upgraded to Linux Mint instead, and got exactly the same problem there (but very mush rare than before). Both with X and "allocate memory" thing.

My graphic card is without fans (as it should be) and gets VERY hot. I never turn my computer off normally, but if the problem is still there after reboots I let the computer be off to be cooled off and then everything works again. So, I'll buy new graphic card and suppose it will help. However I can't explain the "cannot allocate memory" thing, but maybe the SIMMs work bad because of the heat from memory card some centimetre away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Lightbulb Re: bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

I run into this problem as well, but found out that i had no swap partition enabled. Adding a swap partition solved the problem.

Hope this helps.
    Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
    -- Frank Zappa

Beans

Smile Re: bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishWings View Post
    I run into this problem as well, but found out that i had no swap partition enabled. Adding a swap partition solved the problem.

Hope this helps.
    I hade swap partition (3 GB RAM + like 6 GB SWAP).

However, the problem is solved. I bought a new graphic card, a one with fan. It's sound a hell lot of more than the old one without fan, but the problem has not appeard any more.

The old graphic card was always VERY hot, and I think it created problem with the SIMM-memories.

So, however, problem solved. Thanks for the answers I got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12