Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best SSH Login Strategy

Beans

Re: Best SSH Login Strategy

Use a public key encrypted with a passphrase and do not use the default port. Also do not allow root login.

I changed from the default to a random port and I saw a dramatic decrease in the amount of dictionary/brute force attacks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: Best SSH Login Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by boast View Post
    oh yes it does. I would bet $100 those bot login attempts will go away.

He is not trying to defend himself from a targeted attack....
    The "bots" these days are far smarter than that and will scan all ports for all services. It's extremely easy to program this and "bots" do not care how hard they have to work.

I had an ssh server listening on port 23 (which is the standard FTP port) and I still got plenty of SSH login attempts.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    I had an ssh server listening on port 23 (which is the standard FTP port) and I still got plenty of SSH login attempts.
    The FTP port is 21. 23 is the Telnet port.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    The "bots" these days are far smarter than that and will scan all ports for all services. It's extremely easy to program this and "bots" do not care how hard they have to work.

Port 23 is telnet's standard port, which is also a target for bot scans. Once the bot knows a port is open they usually fingerprint the service running in that port.

If you want to avoid this bot attacks you should move your ssh service to a high, not common port like 10000 (choosing port 8080 or 6667 is also a bad idea). In that way you will avoid the service of being detected by average scans.

Of course this does not increase the security of the host but at least will make your log more readable and you'll be able to detect specific attacks against you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

did i hear $100, so if i create a honey pot on port 9999 and if it gets scanned in a couple of weeks i get $100?

ok ok, as was said earlyer use a usb stick to cary a key with you, if that is not possible use ssl to secure an online login where you can download the key from. This will aid in the defence from mitem attacks althogh still far from best... i don't even open port 22 to the wan...

i too recomend you use a usb device to carry a key around with you.

i too recomend denyhosts if you are to enable password auth to the wan (expect alot of emails)...

also if you are open to the wan protect yourself from the latest vulns by ensureing your software is up to date!

also switch of all headers that can identify you software versions wether it's ssh/apache/tomcat/ftp/mail whatever...

also yes bots only use weak/boaring passwords, however they also post back details on software versions found... could make you a next targeted attack...

and for info on port scan it takes me around 40min to scan 10000 ports...

also firewall your server!

there are 3 major ip ranges that can easily be blocked: european, asian and us... choose the acordingly...
    My personal website with blog n apps
    http://www.mikejonesey.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Exclamation Re: Best SSH Login Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    The FTP port is 21. 23 is the Telnet port.
    My mistake, I did have it on 21.

Point being was that it STILL got SSH hits.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro

thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up just setting up public/private key authentication. I figure I can make all the files I need to access available through http and email myself for all the files I want to put back on the server.

I have also installed fail2ban. I'm not entirely sure if its working as I pretty much have the default config installed. when I run sudo iptables -L I find this though. Not sure if it means that it is working or not.

Code:
    jonzo@jonzo-station:~$ sudo iptables -L
    [sudo] password for jonzo: 
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination         
    fail2ban-ssh  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            multiport dports ssh 
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
    ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED 
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh 
    ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:www 
    DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain fail2ban-ssh (1 references)
    RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
    As for a firewall I'm not doing anything with iptables(as you can see) or any other firewall. I am sitting behind a router that forwards port 80 and 22(i will consider changing the port for ssh). Is this adequate or does it still leave me at risk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I guess I must just be a special case where I haven't gotten a single ssh login attempt in years being a different port (for a home server, not some commercial server).

Beans
    Distro

You're not a special case. Same happened to me and most people I know who did the same.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by San_SS! View Post
    You're not a special case. Same happened to me and most people I know who did the same.
    Don't care, changing the default ssh server port number does NOT in ANY way improve the security...

I also had a lot of attempts on port 22, changed to a higher one, there is no hit. I think I will put it back to 22 with an installed IDS and fail2ban.
    Being a target means being on the internet. End of line.
    Takedown blog (hungarian)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast