Thread: Just due to video problems i dont want to switch back to xp

Beans

Angry Just due to video problems i dont want to switch back to xp

hey guys i have p-iv and 512 MB ram and a 64MB integrated video.i installed xubuntu 11.10 on my pc dual booting with xp.when no process is open my sytem rests at following cpu 4% ram 30% and swap 1%.but with chrome open it rests at 24% ram 45% and swap 5% but the system still gets slow(even if ubunu software center is open) and it donot play any video only audio.before xubuntu i had ubuntu 11.10 and it was a big problem with it too.before both of these i had 11.04 which worked fine even when it was installed using wubi.so it looks strange because from resource consumption it dont look like my pc is slowing xubuntu down coz it is supposed to work nicely on 512mb ram.i use totem(all the restricted extras installed so not a prob with codecs) and vlc.
    its been a problem with me for 2 months and i dont want to go back to window.if i get it sorted out i ll be very happy to uninstall window(giving me creeps but can watch movies on it).

thanks for help
    regards

Beans

Re: Just due to video problems i dont want to switch back to xp

provided after this sudden slow down if i restart my pc video works fine but if i close it and open any other app and then try to play video it crashes again.but i can play videos on chrome or online fine even on 480p.
    very strange.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

512 mb of ram is pushing it especially if you try to watch videos and do something else at the same time. Try Lubuntu 11.04 and see if it gets better. Ubuntu 11.10 is quite buggy for me and I expect many surprises which I don't want. Better wait a few months for the bugs to clean up. Also if you have a weak system forget about the Software center, it is a resource hog at startup. Get synaptic (it comes preinstalled in Lubuntu I think)

Also for flash and youtube install minitube and the flashvideoreplacer addon, this way you can watch videos on Youtube and a few supported sites without flash, which would ease up resource use quite a bit.

For minitube get it from ppa
    https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/webupd8
    Ubuntu's version is always outdated and is broken (if you use 11.04 or below)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    512 mb of ram is pushing it especially if you try to watch videos and do something else at the same time. Try Lubuntu 11.04 and see if it gets better. Ubuntu 11.10 is quite buggy for me and I expect many surprises which I don't want. Better wait a few months for the bugs to clean up. Also if you have a weak system forget about the Software center, it is a resource hog at startup. Get synaptic (it comes preinstalled in Lubuntu I think)

Also for flash and youtube install minitube and the flashvideoreplacer addon, this way you can watch videos on Youtube and a few supported sites without flash, which would ease up resource use quite a bit.

For minitube get it from ppa
    https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/webupd8
    Ubuntu's version is always outdated and is broken (if you use 11.04 or below)
    Ram is so cheap these days, it's the easiest and most cost-effective upgrade you can give your machine. My 16gb of ddr3 cost $78 Australian.

Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.34Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans

i just tweaked it a little bit now its doing fine.when i use flashreplacer in fire fox 7 it just crashes when i play video.what would be the problem?

Beans

and yeah totem wasnt playing any video after tweaks but vlc and parole could.