Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3.2 shell extensions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Gnome 3.2 shell extensions

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I can't get the weather extension find my location after entering the code from the RSS per the instructions @ Web Upd8 . I'll be using indicator-weather until I can get it to work .
    Same problem here, Chuck and GeneC (from the LMDE forum) have been trying to help me, but I got nowhere.

The Clear weather screenlet works for me, just create an entry in .config/autostart:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=ClearWeatherScreenlet
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Exec= python -u /usr/share/screenlets/ClearWeather/ClearWeatherScreenlet.py
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    Then right click to set it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

xircon, is it the LMDE installation that this is happening on?

I ran LMDE & Debian with gnome shell and it seemed they were always playing catch up, I finally got tired of waiting on their schedule.

That's not to say that we're giving up though, I ran into a theme problem on my Precise installation today and had to switch out the user-themes-extension before I could activate a shell theme. For LMDE I used to use the gnome extensions common & the user themes extension from Ubuntu 11.10, they were pretty reliable.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, LMDE, should of made that clearer sorry.

Beans

does anyone know if its possible to load an extension from the terminal? or if theres some other way to load an extension after a certain time delay.

the reason i ask is that my network connection doesent work until a few seconds after gnome is loaded so the weather extension isnt able to connect out right away and just sits there looking stupid. if i load it manually after im logged in it works just fine

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotthemessiah View Post
    does anyone know if its possible to load an extension from the terminal? or if theres some other way to load an extension after a certain time delay.

the reason i ask is that my network connection doesent work until a few seconds after gnome is loaded so the weather extension isnt able to connect out right away and just sits there looking stupid. if i load it manually after im logged in it works just fine
    I really don't know, but this looks like the location in the extension.js where you can increase the timeout, not sure what that will do if anything but it's where I'd start.

Code:
            // Show weather
            Mainloop.timeout_add_seconds(3, Lang.bind(this, function() {
                this.refreshWeather(true);
            }));

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xircon View Post
    Yes, LMDE, should of made that clearer sorry.
    No problem, it just helps to know since it seems each distro has it's own little quirks.

I liked using Debian, it was just hard to keep the shell in sync with development, they just don't move as fast as some others.

Pardon if I already asked, but when you pop into looking glass does it report any errors?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No it didn't, but have deleted it all now.

There is a bug report:
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=665452

So I am not the only one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I'm still looking in vain for an extension that would either

a) remove the message tray
    b) move the message tray to the top or side
    c) move the notifications that appear in the message tray to a gnome panel applet and do away with the message tray.

I use Docky and LOVE it, and it's quite annoying to have the message tray bar pop up every time I do something, and block it.
    I'm about to start learning Javascript, and if anyone here who has more experience would like to work on such a project that would be pretty cool too.
    I was looking at the code in the messageTray.js & did manage to get notifications popping up in the middle of the screen, but it caused a crash.

So, pretty sure it's possible, I don't have the skills to do it unfortunately. Would be nice if it were an extension so the shell itself wouldn't need to be edited.

If I stumble across one that can do it I'll be sure to post about it here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I can't get the weather extension find my location after entering the code from the RSS per the instructions @ Web Upd8 . I'll be using indicator-weather until I can get it to work .
    Check your dates on the one you got off Webupd8, you might want to compare it against the git https://github.com/simon04/gnome-she...ension-weather

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm using the PPA and not installing the individual extension packages manually . I will check a code for a city close by . The RSS code provided with the extension worked fine and the local RSS code works in my browser but not in the extension preferences .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast