Thread: General Computer Routine question

Beans

General Computer Routine question

How to Power Off My Linux Certified Laptop that runs only Linux Ubuntu as a Operating System? It never seems to want to power off when I go through the proper power off menu and I can only get it to hibernate but not completely shut down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: General Computer Routine question

Holding the power button in for a few seconds will shut it down completely. Unfortunately you may have to wait for a kernel update for it to be fixed. What kind of laptop is it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Code:
    sudo shutdown -P now
    once you type that into the terminal it is in the terminal history. So the next time you want to use that command do this: type
    Code:
    history
    into the terminal you will see the shutdown command with a number to the left of it. Remember that number, for today's example I will assume that number is '55'. To use the command at any time simply open your terminal and type
    Code:
    !55
    This will run the shutdown command with less typing, but you still have to enter your super user password. Also, you can replace the now with minutes, so
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -P 60
    would power down the system in 60 minutes. The -P in the command means power down after shutting down the OS.
    Last edited by alphaamanitin; November 21st, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
    "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer" -Voltaire

Beans

There is a well known bug in Ubuntu, experienced by some users including me (caused by NetworkManager), which is lengthening the shutdown time. This fix is working for me, but I'm not sure will it help you.

You have to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck LeDuc Díaz
    cd /etc/init.d
    sudo wget http://www.jejik.com/files/examples/umountcifs
    sudo chmod ugo+x umountcifs
    sudo update-rc.d umountcifs stop 02 0 6 .