Thread: Move encrypted home, make it home of multiple installations

Beans

Move encrypted home, make it home of multiple installations

Hi,

my old Ubuntu installation doesn't boot anymore. I installed a new ubuntu on a new partition. The old home is encrypted. I successfully accessed and backed it up. I set up a empty partition.

I found a few differing instructions on moving a encrypted home to a new partition, but theres a slight difference. I want to move the old home to the new Partition and make it the home of my new installation as well as the home of a installation I intent do do after the encrypted home is in its own partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Move encrypted home, make it home of multiple installations

Not a good idea, different operating systems should not share a /home ......... too many hidden config files.
    that said, you could make a "backup" partition for all , but only backup your doc's and music (not whole home folder).

Beans

Good to know. Maybe thats why the second installation didn't log in after i tried. Then maybe i did something else wrong.

Would it work to backup the encrypted home of the broken installation. Reinstall and copy home back?
    I still would like to have home on a separate partition but i could try this later.

Beans
    Distro

Actually having /home on a separate partition is not a good idea , it makes your hard drive work harder because the arm is going back and forth more ...... better to just use rsync and backup your important stuff to separate partition.

Beans

Thats interessting too. I read multiple times that a separate homepartition was a good thing.

Exclamation Re: Move encrypted home, make it home of multiple installations

Quote Originally Posted by Mappenz View Post
    Thats interessting too. I read multiple times that a separate homepartition was a good thing.

+1 for separate /home and the time it SAVES when re-installing.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro

Many people think a separate /home is good , because most people don't backup and when they have problems they are at a loss, but if you backup like everyone should it's better for your computer not to use separate /home ...

besides reinstalling using your old /home is installing your old problems into the new install, most config files are in /home (hidden)and they often are the cause of trouble.
    Last edited by mike555; November 22nd, 2011 at 12:55 AM.