Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimenting with software RAID in VirtualBox; need help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Experimenting with software RAID in VirtualBox; need help

I just finished setting up a software RAID-1 array in Virtualbox with two 10 GB drives. Setup and install was pretty simple and smooth. After the system was alive I decided to do some testing. I shut the VM off, opened up the storage settings menu and detached what was the primary drive (or rather, the drive that was on SATA port 0; the second drive being on port 1).

I started the VM back up and it sat at a cursor for about 20 seconds but then some stuff whipped by and I noticed it said it was now running in a degraded mode, proceeded to boot up otherwise normal looking. I though, "Let's see what happens when I do this" and decided to just create an empty folder on the desktop and shut back down (to see if it would sync up later with the missing drive after bring it back to the mix).

I re-attached the primary, booted, no messages about RAID software anywhere along the way degraded mode or otherwise, looked normal. Shutdown, removed the secondary drive this time. When I booted up this time it takes me to a prompt that says "Error: Disk missing" and then a grub> prompt with a blinking cursor.

I'm not sure if this is what is suppose to happen in real life or if this is a quirk happening because it was simulated in VBox or if there was something I was supposed to do after re-attaching the first "bad" drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Experimenting with software RAID in VirtualBox; need help

I haven't work with raid too much but the first thing on my mind is that after you re-attach the "bad" disk you have to wait to sync first. If you disconnected the second disk while still not synced, it will probably go crazy.

You can see the status of the array/sync with:

cat /proc/mdstat

PS. One more thing. If I remember correctly, before removing a disk even if it really failed totally, you need to mark it as failed in the array config. The command was something like:
    sudo mdadm --manage /dev/mdX --fail /dev/sdXY

You would need to do that for every partition on the disk which is part of software raid. If testing by removing /dev/sda, you would mark fail /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc in their respective arrays. Only then disconnect the disk. This should also apply to VBox.
    Last edited by darkod; December 29th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What darkod mentions sounds the logical think to check: where the disks in sync again before you took out the second drive..
    Take note that syncing can take a long time, since it will sync every bit again (that's why it's called a mirror )

Beans

Software RAID drives do need some managing, and syncing a drive can take quite a long time as idef1x said.

I found the mdadm man page very helpful when I was learning about this http://linux.die.net/man/8/mdadm and you have done the right thing in learning in a virtual environment.

Have fun, and try building some RAID5 or RAID6 arrays and drop disks out, then the fun really starts!
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I haven't work with raid too much but the first thing on my mind is that after you re-attach the "bad" disk you have to wait to sync first. If you disconnected the second disk while still not synced, it will probably go crazy.

cat /proc/mdstat

PS. One more thing. If I remember correctly, before removing a disk even if it really failed totally, you need to mark it as failed in the array config. The command was something like:
    sudo mdadm --manage /dev/mdX --fail /dev/sdXY
    You need to wait for the disks to resync for this to work properly. And, you don't need to remove a disk even if it totally fails. You just shut down the computer, remove the defective disk, then add a new one like this.

Code:
    mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdX1
    mdadm will know that it's missing a disk and automatically use this new disk to restore parity. Replacing disks in RAID5/6/10 arrays is equally easy to recover from.

Beans
    Distro

cat /proc/mdstat
    I'm in a hurry to leave the house but this command showed me that there was syncing going on in the background that I wasn't aware of. I'm blown away by how automatic the whole thing is. Says it's got about 8 minutes left to finish. I'll look over the other posts soon but this is enough to show me that I at least got it created/installed/setup correctly. Thanks!

Beans

To give you an idea... I have a file server at home where I have two mdadm arrays created. One is ~ 6TB (8 drive RAID 6 array) and the other is ~ 9TB (4 drive RAID 5 array).

I use a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz dual core processor & 4GB RAM.

I have no problems getting ~ 600MB/s reads and ~ 450MB/s writes to the 6TB array.

Joo

Sorry. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by jchung; December 29th, 2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Wrong thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    You need to wait for the disks to resync for this to work properly. And, you don't need to remove a disk even if it totally fails. You just shut down the computer, remove the defective disk, then add a new one like this.

Code:
    mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdX1
    mdadm will know that it's missing a disk and automatically use this new disk to restore parity. Replacing disks in RAID5/6/10 arrays is equally easy to recover from.
    I'm still experimenting and decided the next thing I wanted to try and pretend a disk has completely failed and to replace it with a new, empty virtual disk of the same size as the old one. The command you mentioned above made me think/realize that it would seem I have to recreate new partitions of the same size on the replacement disk before I can add those partitions to their respective arrays. Is that correct? If so, what's an easy way to do that so that they match in size?

Also, out of curiosity, is it a good or a bad idea to setup software raid for the swap partition? I originally setup two matching partitions on both drives, and having gone back and forth between them individually (running without one or another and then both again to see what happens) I'm now running with one of the original discs, one blank (which hasn't been added to any arrays yet or formated/partitioned) and the status of the md0 array shows "active raid1 sda1[1] ; 9990080 blocks [2/1] [_U]"

and the one for the swap partition shows "inactive sda5[1] (S) ; 492480 blocks". Is this normal? Shouldn't they both be active? Does this mean I'm currently running without any swap partition mounted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

According to this: http://www.howtoforge.com/replacing_..._a_raid1_array

To copy the partition table (layout) of /dev/sda to /dev/sdb you do:

sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb

PS. About swap. The (S) means Spare, and since sdb5 is not present, there is nothing active. This might be a result of disconnecting the second disk without syncing, don't know.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

According to this: http://www.howtoforge.com/replacing_..._a_raid1_array

To copy the partition table (layout) of /dev/sda to /dev/sdb you do:

sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb

PS. About swap. The (S) means Spare, and since sdb5 is not present, there is nothing active. This might be a result of disconnecting the second disk without syncing, don't know.
    This is exactly how you'd copy over the partition table for a RAID1 array. In RAID5/6 it doesn't matter as the size of the array is determined by the smallest member.

Also, I'd put your swap on a setup raid1 array. In this case, it looks like your swap array didn't sync, or is broken. You could easily stop the array and recreate it. Caution this is off the top of my head, so I could be forgetting a step. Also, you'll want to ensure that md1 is the correct device.

Code:
    mdadm --stop /dev/md1
    then zero the superblocks
    Code:
    mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda5
    mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb5
    Then, recreate the array.
    Code:
    mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sd[ab]5
    Then make it a swap partition
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/md1
    Edit your /etc/fstab to mount this array, and update your /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf file.
    Code:
    echo "DEVICE partitions" > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    echo "HOMEHOST fileserver" >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    echo "MAILADDR  youruser@gmail.com" >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    Finally, setup your swap to startup on reboot
    Code:
    update-initramfs -k all -u
    Last edited by rubylaser; December 30th, 2011 at 12:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast