Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Massive amounts of spam in Compiz Forums?

Beans

Re: Massive amounts of spam in Compiz Forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale61 View Post
    I tend to lose interest in a forum before the page count gets to double figures, so you must have a lot of spare time to have read through the previous 222 pages!
    Haha, no : P
    I started on the last page and skipped to the 250's and worked my way down till I saw the first page full of spam topics. Seriously, it was just an abrupt end to all legitimate posts.
    Ubuntu is my past, present, and future. Gonna help it take over the world, someday.
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6670 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Even before being inundated with spam, the compiz forum wasn't very busy, at the most one or two posts a week.

Since Sam became employed by Canonical, he really hasn't had a lot of time to pay attention to the forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Even before being inundated with spam, the compiz forum wasn't very busy, at the most one or two posts a week.

Since Sam became employed by Canonical, he really hasn't had a lot of time to pay attention to the forum.
    So all these thousands of spammers just decided one day to flood the forums over and over again? It just doesn't make since; in one instance, all the legit posters left and in came hordes of spammers.
    Ubuntu is my past, present, and future. Gonna help it take over the world, someday.
    System specs: CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.2GHz | GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6670 | MB - MSI 760GM-P23 | RAM - 4GB DDR3 1366 MHz | OS - Arch, Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

That is interesting.

I can't enter, that forum, at all.

Might be a new security feature.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hansdown View Post
    That is interesting.

I can't enter, that forum, at all.

Might be a new security feature.
    What do you mean by enter? Login? Post? Read?
    I'm not having trouble reading topics (not that I would), but I haven't tried logging in because I haven't registered (not that I would).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rectec794613 View Post
    So all these thousands of spammers just decided one day to flood the forums over and over again? It just doesn't make since; in one instance, all the legit posters left and in came hordes of spammers.
    Even when I had access, there were approximately 300 - 400 spams a day on that forum, we spent up to 3 -4 hours a day just deleting spam, that's just to much time to spend on such a low access site.

One other factor may be that before Sam got hired by Canonical, he had almost decided to stop devloping compiz, as it looked like mutter was going to be the desktop manager of choice.
    Last edited by cariboo907; November 20th, 2011 at 07:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Even when I had access, there were approximately 300 - 400 spams a day on that forum, we spent up to 3 -4 hours a day just deleting spam, that's just to much time to spend on such a low access site.

One other factor may be that before Sam got hired by Canonical, he had almost decided to stop devloping compiz, as it looked like mutter was going to be the desktop manager of choice.
    Well what I'm trying to do with this thread is see if we can get some former Compiz Forums members/admin and find out why the spamming started. Maybe we could start a new forum and have a clean slate if Compiz's popularity rises again and more people need help with it. Possibly make a Compiz section on Ubuntu Forums? For now I just want to figure this out, contribute to people's knowledge and keep this as a resource for people who are also curious about the Forums' fate.

Beans
    Distro

You may, be gifted, rectec794613.

Beans

Well if nobody has anything left to say, perhaps we'll wait 'till an answer comes, eh? Hopefully I've shed some light on this issue, though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rectec794613 View Post
    Well if nobody has anything left to say, perhaps we'll wait 'till an answer comes, eh? Hopefully I've shed some light on this issue, though.
    Thankyou, rectec794613.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast