Thread: questions from a brand-noob

Beans

questions from a brand-noob

Hi, I bought a refurbished computer from FreeGeek in Portland Oregon that was already outfitted with Ubuntu. I like the idea of keeping it and learning how to use it and being open source and stuff...but I am lost lost lost.

Can somebody please help me with
    1) finding a driver for my printer/scanner which is a brother mfc-j410w, and tell me how on earth to install it and what program I need to use to scan images?

and also

2) i am an illustrator and I was using photoshop to clean up and resize my images. GIMP is similar, right? or is there something better I should look at. and

3) how do I get flash videos to play.

thank you so much. I heard that this forum was a helpful place to come.

Beans

Re: questions from a brand-noob

1) finding a driver for my printer/scanner which is a brother mfc-j410w,
    and tell me how on earth to install it and what program I need to use to scan images?
    Take a look at this post
    brother mfc-j410w any more suggestion on how to get my printer to work? #7

2) i am an illustrator and I was using photoshop to clean up and resize my images. GIMP is similar, right? or is there something better I should look at.
    11 Photos and Graphics

15 Audio / Video conversion
    Last edited by poloshiao; November 20th, 2011 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The Ubuntu-restricted-extras package. It will pull in a lot of libraries and programs that allow you to watch flash videos, play audio CDs, movies on DVD, and lots more essential stuff.

I didn't see what version Ubuntu you have installed so it would be hard to give exact directions. If your version has Synaptic Package Manager, you can find it at System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. Or you can search the Software Center. Or in any case you can open a terminal and type (or copy and paste) the following, one at a time.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Lammaslehto View Post
    Hi, I bought a refurbished computer from FreeGeek in Portland Oregon that was already outfitted with Ubuntu. I like the idea of keeping it and learning how to use it and being open source and stuff...but I am lost lost lost.

Can somebody please help me with
    1) finding a driver for my printer/scanner which is a brother mfc-j410w, and tell me how on earth to install it and what program I need to use to scan images?

and also

2) i am an illustrator and I was using photoshop to clean up and resize my images. GIMP is similar, right? or is there something better I should look at. and

thank you so much. I heard that this forum was a helpful place to come.
    Hello,

Feel free to PM me directly.... I'm Team Lead for Ubuntu Oregon and live in Portland and would be more than happy to help you out.
    --
    Benjamin Kerensa
    Ubuntu Developer & Firefox Release Manager
    http://benjaminkerensa.com