Thread: AMD/ATI APU no graphical display

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation AMD/ATI APU no graphical display

Ok. I have waited many weeks for a resolution to the issue with AMD/ATI APU graphics. I have tried 'nomodeset', 'radeon mode=0', and 'radeon mode=1' with no video after booting from live disk. I have tried vesa mode, and 'mode=771'. I have tried combinations. I am running Ubuntu 11.04 now on the computer with the AMD/ATI APU graphics and making this post with it. No issues. What has been broken in all flavors of linux to cause the graphics display to no longer work??? No version of linux (new versions) will work anymore. Not Fedora, not SuSE, not Ubuntu, NOTHING......with the new kernels. My computer is a HP Pavilion dv6z quad-core APU with the built-in APU graphics adaptor from ATI. Only the OLD versions of linux will work with it. Will I have to give up using linux on it or use only MS???? I have been a long time user of linux and it is my preferred OS but I like to keep it current. I can continue to use 11.04 for a time but eventually there will be no support for it. Then what?

lspci -v from working 11.04 on HP Pavilion Laptop

VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9641 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 358b
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 53
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
    Memory at f0300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
    Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
    Kernel modules: fglrx
    Last edited by Maintech; November 19th, 2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added lspci -v from working 11.04