Thread: Can't remove an empty from the all programs folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can't remove an empty from the all programs folder.

I am having a problem with the start menu's all programs menu. Someone who uses my computer installed a program that he wasn't supposed to, called iLivid. I uninstalled the program, but the folder in the all-programs menu remains, but is empty. I cannot delete this folder, because when I right click the folder, it only gives me the option to expand (which does nothing, because I removed the program). Can anybody help me remove this folder? The folder in question is circled in red in the screenshot.

EDIT: Sorry for the fact that the title is missing the word "folder".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LinuxFan999; November 19th, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: Can't remove an empty from the all programs folder.

Not sure about Vista/Win7, but in XP those sorts of menu items are stored in the Documents and Settings area. Deleting items from there will remove them from the menu, just in case a program's uninstaller doesn't clean up after itself properly and running CCleaner on it doesn't solve the problem either.

The relevant areas:
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

On Vista/Win7, the path is different - instead of C:\Documents and Settings, it's C:\Users. I'm not sure if the structure after that is different or not, but it's still something to check.

Beans
    Distro

That folder is probably created by the registry. Run (Windows key + R) 'regedit' and search for and remove all instances of 'iLivid'. Reboot and if the folder isn't gone, it should at least be deletable now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pastalavista View Post
    That folder is probably created by the registry. Run (Windows key + R) 'regedit' and search for and remove all instances of 'iLivid'. Reboot and if the folder isn't gone, it should at least be deletable now.
    Just tried it and it worked. Thanks. I just finished removing the remaining traces of I livid.
    Say no to Microsoft. Say yes to open source.