Thread: unable to mount external drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

unable to mount external drive

Hey guys,

Running 10.04, I've got a 1TB external drive that until now worked perfectly. I was transferring some movies over there and it went to hell. Basically I cant mount the drive anymore, I'll post the error I get and hopefully you can help me decrypt it and offer any advice on how to fix the issue

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT (record 0).
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.
    any help is greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose 700+GB of data
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: unable to mount external drive

Hi Legeril,

NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important!
    The NTFS file system is damaged. It suggests (and I suggest too) that you repair it using Windows. Run a dosprompt (~ terminal window) and enter the command
    Code:
    chkdsk E: /f
    where E: is the name of the partition. You must check what letter it should be in Windows and change it to fit your external drive.

Good luck
    Olle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks Olle,

I understood that is wants me to 'chkdsk', but how to found the names of the variables you mentioned "E:" and "f/". The error sounds like it's for Windows, yet I am running Ubuntu.. This confuses me some
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Well, NTFS is a Windows file system, and there is no good repair tool for it in Linux due to licensing issues (it is owned by Microsoft). So people who use NTFS must be prepared to run Windows in order to repair it. Do you have Windows in any computer or can you borrow a computer for this task?

You should be able to identify the volume id (letter) for the partition using for example Microsoft Explorer (for files, not Internet Explorer).

Edit:
    E: is what you should look for and probably change.
    /f should not be changed, it tells chkdsk to try to repair errors (not only check for them).
    Last edited by WasMeHere; November 19th, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: explaining about E: and /f