Thread: ALIX install: Package linux-image-386 not found

Beans

ALIX install: Package linux-image-386 not found

Hi,

I am currently preparing my CF card for use in an ALIX 3d3 box following those instructions: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Alix/CF-Bootmedium_erstellen

When it comes to installing the kernel, with "apt-get -y install linux-image-386", the response is: "unable to locate package linux-image-386". I've also tried with "i386" instead "386" but the kernel cannot be found.

What should I do next?

Oh, I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 for everything.

Beans

Re: ALIX install: Package linux-image-386 not found

Nevermind, the kernel linux-image-generic is just as fine, although not recommended by that tutorial.

By the way, don't try extlinux and just go with GRUB. extlinux doesn't do anything. It had cost me a few hours to figure that out. GRUB works just fine on the ALIX board and on my notebook (via USB CF card reader).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPixel View Post
    Nevermind, the kernel linux-image-generic is just as fine, although not recommended by that tutorial.

By the way, don't try extlinux and just go with GRUB. extlinux doesn't do anything. It had cost me a few hours to figure that out. GRUB works just fine on the ALIX board and on my notebook (via USB CF card reader).
    Most of your problems seem to stem from that Tutorial being over 3 years old. ts of changes since then.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Well, it claims to be tested with Ubuntu 11.04 which is not so old now... But it seems it has not been updated after 10.04 and that's where the changes come from.

Now I've got my own script for 11.10 which I may eventually publish.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPixel View Post
    Now I've got my own script for 11.10 which I may eventually publish.
    Could you share?

Beans

Here's the current draft. It's incomplete for the LED and WLAN part, but the base system works fine so far. German only. PDF and automated bash script included.

http://unclassified.de/tmp/ubuntu-11.10-alix-3d3.7z

(A more stable URL will follow.)

Beans

I have upgraded my ALIX and the installation tutorial for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS just in case somebody would be interested in it. It wasn't a big deal, mostly replacing "oneiric" with "precise". I'm still looking for a decent place to publish it, preferably near my website or maybe some Ubuntu wiki.

Beans

Hi. i am afraid i am getting into a problem with this file. it says that it is corrupted. is is possible to get the instructions?

also will it work for all alix variants?