Thread: Linux on Custom PC?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Linux on Custom PC?

Code:
    Alright, I just logged back on my PC, booted up Ubuntu 11.10 x64 USB
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your procedure. In order for the live environment to work, you need to reboot your computer while the usb drive is still plugged in... or the live cd is still in the tray.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    Code:
    Alright, I just logged back on my PC, booted up Ubuntu 11.10 x64 USB
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your procedure. In order for the live environment to work, you need to reboot your computer while the usb drive is still plugged in... or the live cd is still in the tray.
    Sorry, "logged on" was a poor choice of words. The procedure is as follows...

Turn off computer with USB in.
    Turn on.
    Hit F9
    Boot to USB
    Ubuntu Live CD boots.

Edit: I just tried again, and it gave me a new line about 4 seconds later.
    It reads:
    Code:
    CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 20113 sec
    Last edited by TehSofaWolf; November 19th, 2011 at 02:57 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And the live media never loads? Sometimes it takes a few minutes before it opens the startup screen. Are you, by chance, using a wifi connection only?
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4Orbs View Post
    And the live media never loads? Sometimes it takes a few minutes before it opens the startup screen. Are you, by chance, using a wifi connection only?
    I've been waiting for 20 minutes now, and I'd say its not going to load. I have no WiFi, as well...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation Re: Linux on Custom PC?

Quote Originally Posted by TehSofaWolf View Post
    I just tried again, and it gave me a new line about 4 seconds later.
    It reads:
    Code:
    CE: hpet increased min_delta_ns to 20113 sec
    This looks a lot like:

Booting in recovery mode stops at "Loading Initial Ramdisk"
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/863524

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by David006 View Post
    This looks a lot like:

Booting in recovery mode stops at "Loading Initial Ramdisk"
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/863524
    Sorry, I don't know what to do with that information. I looked at the bug report and the code, and it didn't seem similar to my problem.

Edit: I just tried running Fedora 15 x64 from a CD, and it boots up just fine. Ubuntu still not booting.
    Last edited by TehSofaWolf; November 19th, 2011 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

I don't know if this is related AT ALL, or is something else entirely, but with x64 Linux/BSD, I've seen occasions where all drives will "disappear" on booting x64 because the drives (at the command of the bios) are being held in x32 "compatibility" mode instead of x64 "native" mode or some other such.
    It might be worth looking around your bios settings for something that looks like "native" or "64 bit" mode in drive/sata settings.

Again, this may be completely unrelated. But I remember having a problem like this before, and thought it might help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by killermist View Post
    I don't know if this is related AT ALL, or is something else entirely, but with x64 Linux/BSD, I've seen occasions where all drives will "disappear" on booting x64 because the drives (at the command of the bios) are being held in x32 "compatibility" mode instead of x64 "native" mode or some other such.
    It might be worth looking around your bios settings for something that looks like "native" or "64 bit" mode in drive/sata settings.

Again, this may be completely unrelated. But I remember having a problem like this before, and thought it might help.
    Thanks, I thought I'd played with all the BIOS settings, but I'll give this a try.

Beans

Aha! After a long night of debugging I finally found out that it was the usb ports and cd drive I was using. Strange that they both wouldn't work, but nonetheless, plugging USB's directly into my MoBo works... I hope. I'm installing Ubuntu 10.04.3 at the moment, I haven't tried Debian or Ubuntu 11.10 yet.

Beans

...nope. Installing Debian worked great from the back panel, but today I tried installing Ubuntu 11.10 x64, and it had the same error message. Noting that Ubuntu 10.04.3 x64 booted up and installed fine, as did Debian 6.0.3 x64 DVD 01, ArchLinux, and Fedora 15 x64. Ubuntu 11.10 x64 and x32, LinuxMint 12 x64 and x32 (all different DE's tried), LinuxMint Debian, and OpenSUSE 12.1 x64 and x32 will not boot... does anyone know what the major difference between these distros that will let some work but not others is?

Organized...
    Quote Originally Posted by The distributions that boot.
    Ubuntu 10.04.3 (x86/64) (Most likely Ubuntu 10.10 (x86/64) will boot, but haven't tested)
    Debian 6.0.3 DVD (x86/x64)
    ArchLinux (net-install)
    Fedora 15 (x86/x64)
    Quote Originally Posted by The distributions that don't boot.
    Ubuntu 11.10 (x86/x64) (Most likely that Ubuntu 11.04 (x86/64) won't boot, but haven't tested.)
    LinuxMint 12 (x86/64)
    LinuxMint Debian (x86/64)
    OpenSUSE 12.1 (x86/64)
    Last edited by TehSofaWolf; November 28th, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Organize

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast