Thread: Sorting images in GTK with drag and drop...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Sorting images in GTK with drag and drop...

I'm writing a small plug-in for GIMP using PyGTK. The plug-in is a tool for comic book artists that manages multiple pages of a book. It basically shows the thumbnails of all the pages, and you can open them, add pages, delete pages and so on.

What I'm working on now is re-ordering the pages. I want the user to be able to drag and drop pages around in the window, to change their order. The layout of the pages is as follows:
    2 3
    4 5
    6 7
    ...and so on. Just like it would be in a book. I'm quite new to GTK, so I'm not sure how to approach this. I've looked at using images in a ListView, with two columns. It supports drag and drop, but I believe it's only for whole rows (e.g. I wouldn't be able to move page 5 to where page 2 is in the above example). And if I get drag and drop working, can I make it scroll the window with the thumbnails, if you drag to the edge of it? If multi-select and drag is possible too, that would be great.

What would be a smart approach to this?

My current idea is just to make it easy for myself, and do a right click menu with "Move page to..." and have the user enter the page number where they want the page to move to. But it's not particularly slick.

Beans

Re: Sorting images in GTK with drag and drop...

By far, the easiest method I can think of is a gtk.IconView. You can set the number of columns to 2, and I guess you could create an dummy first item to make the pages line up. You can even call set_reorderable to get free DnD support, but you'll probably need to implement that manually to prevent dragging that dummy item.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: Sorting images in GTK with drag and drop...

Thanks, that seems to do the trick. I've implemented an IconView in my code, and got drag and drop working great for reordering the pages.

I don't mind the extra page at the top, I'll just put a file for the cover of the book there. You can still drag it around, but it's not really a problem as I suspect the end user won't accidentally move his or her cover around, and if they do, it's easy to drag it back.