Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Desura Game Distribution Platform

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Desura Game Distribution Platform

I'm not sure how I missed this, but it looks brilliant.

Beans

New free Linux games on Desura: Revenge of the Cats: Ethernet, OGS Mahjong, Zombie Grinder, Warlock's Gauntlet, Naev and, as mentioned, Warzone 2100.

New paid games include Lost Labyrinth, Three Dead Zed (hand drawn graphics, action) and Lume (photographed cardboard graphics adventure game, IGF nominated)

Beans

Does this Distro support windows based gaming? Such as origin and steam? Does wine work better on here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you've confused exactly what is meant by distribution platform. Desura is a bit of software that helps you buy and download/update games. It's not a distro in the Ubuntu debían etc sense. It won't help you play any games that don't already run on Linux (although I think I has done a good job to promote Linux gaming and encourage developers) It's very much like steam on Windows/mac. Although With much more indie focus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Desura Game Distribution Platform

Last time I checked, Warzone 2100 was in Ubuntu Software Store for free. Wondering if it costs anything in Desura or if it's newer version over there... might have a look for myself soon.

Beans

Two new additions to Desura: Age of Conquest III and Conquest of Elysium 3. Yes, kinda funny to have two unrelated second sequel commercial turn based strategy games with with "Conquest" in the title appear around the same time, but there you have it

Beans

We now have Bean's Quest on Desura, a colourful platformer. Reminds me somewhat of other Linux game Project Black Sun which I recommend you check out if you havn't already.

Remember, downloading free games is fine, but no better way to support games on Linux than buy buying commercial games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pieman711 View Post
    I think you've confused exactly what is meant by distribution platform. Desura is a bit of software that helps you buy and download/update games. It's not a distro in the Ubuntu debían etc sense. It won't help you play any games that don't already run on Linux (although I think I has done a good job to promote Linux gaming and encourage developers) It's very much like steam on Windows/mac. Although With much more indie focus.
    Agreed. Desura has quite a lot of LINUX games listed and the forum seems to be very helped to get people up and running with community and gaming groups that are quite active.

Beans

This seems very promising...if this is supported well enough this could be the future of gaming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I'm a happy (mostly) Desura customer who eagerly awaited downloading my preordered Conquest of Elysium 3 hour by hour and sure enough, on Sunday as promised, it became available and playable.

The main thing about the games on Desura is that most of them are installed in your /path/to/desura/common directory, which is somewhere in your /home folder. Games on Synaptic or the Software Center are installed in your (possibly) /usr/share/games folder, which is why most all games on Desura don't need a password to be installed.

The long and the short of it is that adding the playdeb repositories will assure you of the most recent releases of a bunch of games, so don't depend on Desura to cover all your gaming needs. They do a great job with low-priced indie games whose purchase helps further development, and are the only way for all three computing platforms to download and play Illwinter's COE3. This was a feather in Desura's cap, by the way, the way Dominions 3 is Shrapnel Games' biggest seller. Illwinter has, as they say, enormous street cred within the indie community.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast