Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen brightness control on Gateway NV57H13h

Beans

Screen brightness control on Gateway NV57H13h

I just bought a new laptop (Gateway NV57H13h) and completely formated it to reinstall Ubuntu 11.10 on, but I can not dim the light on the screen causing my battery to die very fast... Can someone help me with this? Tell me the command output that you would need

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Screen brightness control on Gateway NV57H13h

Quote Originally Posted by Kegeg View Post
    I just bought a new laptop (Gateway NV57H13h) and completely formated it to reinstall Ubuntu 11.10 on, but I can not dim the light on the screen causing my battery to die very fast... Can someone help me with this?u
    Hi Kegeg,

Great computer you've got there.

What do you mean by dim the light?

Ubuntu 11.10 (with Unity) is using a lot of resources, but this can not be the cause in your case.
    Another problem can be that you have a brand new HW, and Ubuntu kernel does not have support for it.

If you want to try Ubuntu, my suggestion is that you try it from USB drive. Check ...
    www.pendrivelinux.com

Best regards,
    pRookie

Beans

The problem is that I can't adjust the brightness of my screen using the keyboard shortcut and even from the terminal. I've been using Ubuntu for 4 years now and I can't just go back to windows because of that! The hardware is new so the kernel not supporting it fully might be an option, any ideas on how long could it take to be supported or how to temporarily fix this?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I believe this notebook has an nvidia video card. Are you using the proprietary drivers? If so, try adding:
    Code:
    Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    ...to the DEVICE section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

You might also want to try the acpi_backlight=vendor kernel parameter. You can test it via this procedure: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...nu_During_Boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Kegeg View Post
    The hardware is new so the kernel not supporting it fully might be an option, any ideas on how long could it take to be supported or how to temporarily fix this?
    It's hard to tell that for me. Maybe it's not a kernel problem in you case.

Now, I'm investigating how to report my problem as a bug to development team. I experience crashes in 11.10 which are related with my mobile broadband USB modem. I guess that the problem is with new kernel 3.x.x. My modem is not supported in a rigth way in kernel and that is causing instability of the whole system.

This is a bad side of Linux. Manufacturers of the hardware are not giving support and drivers for Linux users so everything is on the Linux community themselves. And that is a great problem if you want to use your brand new hardware with all features.

In your case, you can wait a long time that your specific piece of hardware could be covered in Linux (that even means indefinetly like in the case of old modem I have). Or you can try to speed up things by contacting development team somehow. If I succeed in my case, I'll let you know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    I believe this notebook has an nvidia video card. Are you using the proprietary drivers? If so, try adding:
    Code:
    Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    ...to the DEVICE section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

You might also want to try the acpi_backlight=vendor kernel parameter. You can test it via this procedure: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...nu_During_Boot.
    I tried both your solution but it didn't seem to work... I also had trouble installing the NVIDIA driver and never got it to work, I'm only using the Intel card for now but it still do the job. I also tried to dim it with xbacklight -set 0, but it didn't work either

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What is the result of the following command:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    You should get 2 lines returned, one for the nvidia card and one for the Intel card. The first field is the device id. Then try this:
    Code:
    sudo setpci -s <device_id> F4.B=<value>
    ...where device_id is the results from the previous command and value is a hexidecimal value between 0 and 255. Try the following values to test: 0, 7F, FF.

Examples:
    sudo setpci -s 01:00.0 F4.B=0
    sudo setpci -s 01:00.0 F4.B=7F
    sudo setpci -s 01:00.0 F4.B=FF
    Does this command change the brightness?

If not, what is the contents of your /sys/class/backlight directory:
    Code:
    ls /sys/class/backlight

Beans

What is the result of the following command:
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    You should get 2 lines returned, one for the nvidia card and one for the Intel card. The first field is the device id. Then try this:
    Code:
    sudo setpci -s <device_id> F4.B=<value>
    ...where device_id is the results from the previous command and value is a hexidecimal value between 0 and 255. Try the following values to test: 0, 7F, FF.

Examples:

Does this command change the brightness?

If not, what is the contents of your /sys/class/backlight directory:
    Code:
    ls /sys/class/backlight

The output of the first command is:
    :~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF106 [GeForce GT 555M] (rev a1)
    As for the command sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=0 , 7F or FF it didn't change anything

The output for
    :~$ ls /sys/class/backlight
    acpi_video0 intel_backlight

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You have 2 backlight interfaces. Lets try to find out which one is the valid one then remove the other one.

Look inside /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight and you should see a number of files including brightness, actual_brightness and max_brightness.

max_brightness contains the maximum brightness value that can be processed by the interface.

actual_brightness is the current brightness level

Try:
    Code:
    echo <value> | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    ...where <value> is a valid value between 0 and max_brightness. Does this change the screen brightness?

If not, try the same with the acpi_video0 interface.

If still nothing, boot with the acpi_backlight=vendor kernel parameter and try both again.

Beans

You have 2 backlight interfaces. Lets try to find out which one is the valid one then remove the other one.

Look inside /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight and you should see a number of files including brightness, actual_brightness and max_brightness.

max_brightness contains the maximum brightness value that can be processed by the interface.

actual_brightness is the current brightness level

Try:
    Code:
    echo <value> | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
    ...where <value> is a valid value between 0 and max_brightness. Does this change the screen brightness?

If not, try the same with the acpi_video0 interface.

If still nothing, boot with the acpi_backlight=vendor kernel parameter and try both again.
    Good, adjusting the brightness through echo <value> | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness works, but I still can't use the keyboard's brightness key... This is a good temporary solution until the semester is over and I have more time to play with it! I've wrote the result of the brightness file here if that can give you more hint.

:~$ ls sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight
    actual_brightness brightness max_brightness subsystem uevent
    bl_power device power type
    Thank you

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast