Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you left windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Why you left windows

I would have to give all of the credit to this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

It showed up in Vuze while I was browsing downloads.

I messed with Linux briefly about 15 years ago, and it seemed pretty terrible compared to windows. IMO
    Then I sorta closed the door on linux.

Seeing that video showed me how far Linux has come, and got me interested again.

Now, I use a Mac at work, AND HATE IT!
    Windows Media Center for my HTPC's in my house, AND HATE IT!
    Everything else in Linux.

I wish I could replace Windows Media Center, and probably spend a few hours a week trying to find a simple Linux based alternative, but still cannot find something I like.

Beans

Talking Re: Why you left windows

Once I so the beauty, flexibility and stability of open source the decision was simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have not left Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Had a laptop with Vista that just kept crashing. Loaded up 8.04 and never looked back.

Though my wife's laptop, supplied by her employer, has Windows 7. Looks pretty snazzy and she seems to like it.

I'm not a big Windows hater, it just got to be a pain. Also, Ubuntu has enabled me to keep a lot of older hardware running at my company. I mean, when it gets to the point when you need to replace a 2-year-old computer just to run Quickbooks, it's really time to fire up Gnucash.

I can't blame the QB issues on Microsoft, though. QB over the years turned into a big, fat blob of mostly useless "features."

Beans

so, the real reason i left windows was because i had a faulty hard disk, and couldn;t reinstall windows. i could however install linux distros.

i mean i'd been into linux (knoppix and open suse mainly) for a while in a casual and curious way, but this really flushed windows from my system.

since then i still use it occasionally, to play a game now and then (i got a new hard disk and now dual boot). but increasingly find myself being a windows hater, i've just got so use to the simplicity of using debian distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Because Windows on my netbook caught a virus, causing it to trash completely.

So I replaced the OS with Ubuntu, and I have not had a virus since. And I found out that I like Ubuntu / Linux much better than Windows.

I must say, I have been interested in trying Linux for many years, but the thought of switching operating systems is a little daunting. But a crashed OS was certainly the impetus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No need for a/v, safe apps available risk free - but mainly fast boot times & shut down on my laptop. Speedy boot not so vital on desktop 'cos tend to leave it running for longer periods than my laptop.
    And of course, easy to install (20 mins or so). Fast download - Ubuntu CD 6 or 7 mins.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have been using Microsoft operating systems from MS-DOS 5 until Windows XP. I tried Linux a couple of times around 1999, but didn't get hooked, (yet). In 2005, when Ubuntu was released, I got curious again and tested it along my Windows XP. After a while I realized that I had not logged in to Windows for months, so I decided to kill it off and reinstall only Ubuntu, when 5.10 was released. Never looked back.

My reasons to leave Windows:

- Windows Vista
    - DRM, Spyware, Viruses

Why I chose Linux:

- Ability to customize almost every aspect of the OS
    - lots of new things to learn
    - stability
    - no viruses
    - package manager
    - lots of great free applications for almost any task
    - the idea behind free software
    - Compiz ran great on my old computer while Vista's new Aero UI was denied to me as my computer was "too weak" for it (3D cube yes, but unable to render transparent windows in Windows Vista? WTF!)
    - I am not a gamer anymore

What I missed from Windows since 2005:
    - absolutely nothing
    "If nothing goes right...go left"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I got sick of Vista always crashing, always having to reinstall, defragment, etc..., general slowness (especially with anti-virus on), and I've never really liked Windows, just put up with it.

The last straw was when authentication wouldn't work on my legitimate, paid for, box in my hand copy of Vista, for a few months at that! So reinstalling every 30 days got old, and I began to look around for new OSes. Girlfriend wanted a Mac, I didn't because I didn't want to pay the premium on Apple, plus I dislike Apple for a number of reasons, so I tested out Linux Mint on our computer, it stayed for awhile, until I got Ubuntu 11.04, and it's been solely Ubuntu ever since.

Beans

money.

i had a fairly new hard drive containing my XP install go bad and was unable to restore the backup to a new drive. was unwilling to purchase/pirate another copy of windows, and installed ubuntu on the warranty-provided replacement drive almost 3 years ago now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast