Thread: Zeitgeist & LightDM & Privacy

Beans

Zeitgeist & LightDM & Privacy

I think the user should be able to do the following things:

Zeitgeist

-Remove "private/sensitive" content that is in Zeitgeist database and shows up in Dash with just mouse click inside Dash.
    -Remove folder with all its content altogether from being picked up by Zeitgeist logging. This should be done easily from for example within file browser right click context menu.

LightDM

I have some second thoughts about showing desktop wallpaper before user logs in. I do see situations for unwanted "private/sensitive" encounters. This should be optional and enabled/disabled with one mouse click in System settings and i think default state should be set to off.

What do you think?
    Last edited by EgoGratis; November 14th, 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Zeitgeist & LightDM & Privacy

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I think the user should be able to do the following things:

Zeitgeist

-Remove "private/sensitive" content that is in Zeitgeist database and shows up in Dash with just mouse click inside Dash.
    -Remove folder with all its content altogether from being picked up by Zeitgeist logging. This should be done easily from for example within file browser right click context menu.

LightDM

I have some second thoughts about showing desktop wallpaper before user logs in. I do see situations for unwanted "private/sensitive" encounters. This should be optional and enabled/disabled with one mouse click in System settings and i think default state should be set to off.

What do you think?
    Re. Zeitgeist
    This should be installed by default and not in a ppa.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/a...-history-more/

Beans

Yes Activity Log Manager for Zeitgeist is something, that should be installed by default and found in for example System settings BUT i think there should be more integration in Unity and DE too. "Quick actions" to include/exclude folders in home folder and to be able to remove individual results from Dash with just mouse clicking inside Dash and without going into Activity Log Manager for Zeitgeist and trying to do the same there.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; November 14th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Re. Zeitgeist
    This should be installed by default and not in a ppa.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/a...-history-more/
    The activity-log-manager is in universe now, no need to do the PPA thing.

Later, Seeker
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by seeker5528 View Post
    The activity-log-manager is in universe now, no need to do the PPA thing.

Later, Seeker
    Nice. I hope it gets backported into 11.10. Same with activity journal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I understand why you feel this way (in case someone else uses your computer and gets presented with this material they weren't expecting in their search results). However... other people should not be using your account. They should be using the Guest account, or have an account created for them. Zeitgeist search results are account-specific, so they don't show things done in other people's user accounts.

And yes I know that sometimes people are looking over your shoulder as you're using your computer and might see unsavory search results appearing briefly in the Dash. I just thought I'd get on my soapbox about user accounts

Personally, with Zeitgeist, I'd like it to log files that I've opened via dragging and dropping them onto program windows or Launcher icons. Currently it doesn't. It's annoying - you do a search and get no results - "I'm sure that's what the file is called, and I'm sure I opened it earlier.". It's because you didn't actually double-click it in Nautilus, that it hasn't been logged.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I understand why you feel this way...
    To be honest this "proposal" is not "for me". I usually find "workarounds" on Google in few minutes and i then achieve my goal by following some tutorials. This task could take from 10 minutes to one hour based on users skills to achieve this goal. I imagine some user are just not experienced enough to remove unwanted search results. What should they do?

BUT from the perspective of "average user" this is just not expectable. Average user see some results in Dash that he/she thinks it should not be there and he/she must have a way to remove it with click of a mouse button or with finger tap on touchscreen!

Right click context menu to add/remove folders from zeitgeist logging is another plus and this two things combined i imagine are more then enough for average user expectations. Power users can Google and do more...
    Last edited by EgoGratis; November 15th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.