I must love being abused.
So I was using Natty with much happiness. My laptop and iPhone talked seamlessly on bluetooth. The tethered interwebz flowed freely on the same channel. Life was champagne and roses! But then I made the horrible mistake of upgrading to Oneiric. Suddenly the roses withered and the bubbly stopped fizzing. No bluetooth??? WTF???
Ahhhhh, then I found Blueman! Perhaps life was not to suck after all!!! But alas... suckage!

Seriously though...
I'm on a HP TX2510 with the dreaded Broadcom43xx chipset and Oneiric is 64bit. My iPhone is a 3gs, running MyWi. On natty, all I had to do was tick the "use phone as PAN" and I was off n runnin.
I installed Blueman and the phone popped up immediately, but then it crashed. I tried to do a traditional pair between the iPhone and laptop, it also crashed. after a few restarts I managed to pair, but now I can't make them connect (not on the serial connection, FTP or PAN). Then suddenly I can use the PAN, but not the other connections. But now if I disconnect the PAN the ENTIRE bluetooth stack appears to crash which forces me to restart the entire computer before I can reconnect. I have three entries in the network connection chooser menu for the iPhone, only one of which works and it's a guessing game to pick the right one. Choose wrongly and the ENTIRE stack crashes again and I have to restart... again.
On another note, do I have to have BOTH bluetooth symbols in the notification bar? Will the two managers cause conflicts?
This is not why I moved from commercial OS's to Linux.