Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persistent flash (?) related system freezes

Beans

Re: Persistent flash (?) related system freezes

Quote Originally Posted by anlag View Post
    Indeed. I didn't think I picked all that many options, and it still cleaned out in the region of 1.3 Gb. It's worthwhile for that reason alone, and if it solves persistent and annoying issues, all the more so.
    If it fixed it, make sure to mark this thread as solved too btw.. You are very welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I definitely will, but since the problems have been a bit irregular I'll give it a few days to see if it resurfaces. Might try and provoke it a bit too... guess I'll have to find time to do a bit of youtubing one of these nights.

Beans
    Distro

Sad to say that after a couple of days without problems, I've again experienced freezes yesterday and today. So while bleachbit is undoubtedly a useful program and I will be using it, it did not - at least with what I purged - solve the problem.

A thought - isn't there some kind of log I could check to find what the last thing that happened before a freeze was? Internally that is. It might offer some clue as to where the problem lies. I tried having a look around the system logs GUI the other week but couldn't really find where to look. Any ideas, anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is just a thought, but are you monitoring your system temps? I know that streaming video drives my cpu temps up dramatically. Since your problem seems to get progressively worse over time, I'm thinking that it's possible that your fans are getting clogged with dust.

I use sensors-applet to monitor temperatures.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I did have heating issues a few months ago, when heavy use would push the CPU temperature up to nearly 100 ℃. I was able to fix that with a bit of high pressure air cleaning of the fans. I created at the time also a simple script to write the CPU temperature to a log file every 5 minutes, and can see that it has been ranging between 50 and 62 ℃ during the last hour, during which I had one such freeze. I don't believe it could have risen quickly enough to cause a problem inside of any 5 minute interval. Additionally the problems nearly always happen when I start a youtube video for example; if it starts fine then it usually stays that way. If it were a heating issue I would expect it to be more likely (or at least as likely) for the problems to occur at a later point while watching.

Nevertheless I will add monitoring of my GPU temperature to the log file as well, just in case...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sounds like you have already covered that possibility pretty well then. I can't think of anything else right now. I'll keep monitoring this thread and if I come up with any other possibilities, I'll let you know. In the meantime, maybe someone more knowledgeable than I am will show up.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been having this issue ever since upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04.
    I can't play facebook games or watch videos online without Ubuntu crashing after a few minutes. It is happening with both Chrome and FF. I have the newest versions of everything and even a fresh install didn't fix it. In XP, the flash plugin might crash but not the whole system.

Beans

I had a similar problem where flash would cause the system to hang and crash to the login screen.

The problem seemed to be with the NVIDIA drivers. I uninstalled them and installed the nouveau package which has solved the problem.

If you choose to try this you may need to use the --purge flag when removing the proprietary drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have ATI. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone? The persistent crashing is really grating on me. It has interrupted my Ubuntu experience and I'm about ready to give up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12