Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden Asset (isometric assassination/stealth game)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Hostile Takeover (isometric assassination/stealth game)

I know you've been putting a lot of work into this, and hope it turns out great.

Looking forward to the release.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for keeping us all updated on the project. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of a release when available. Thanks for putting in that bit about the bug busting too. I've dabbled in programming a bit too (nothing more serious than a simple 2d pacman type game ) and know exactly what you mean. That epiphany moment when you realise whats been going wrong for the last 6 hours (days/weeks) almost make the time spent worth it. Well probably not but still feels good!

Beans

This looks promising. I like the concept of stealth games, but rarely find anything that looks entertaining. This shows a lot of promise and I'm looking forward to trying an alpha/beta release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to other people giving it a spin. It's gonna be weird, though, since I've just been working on it for myself for so long.

@pieman711: Yeah, bug-hunting can go from frustrating annoyance to euphoric victory in like 2 seconds!
    Laserbrain Studios - Currently developing Hidden Asset!
    Ascii Sector - Real-time roguelike in space!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here's a new version with a couple of fixes - and native Linux compiles.

- Fixed issue with rendering of character shadows that would potentially crash the game.
    - Fixed bug that allowed you to access objects through walls.
    - You can now also scroll the map with W, A, S, D.

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.2 for Windows (19 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.2 for Linux 32-bit (19 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.2 for Linux 64-bit (19 MB)

Beans

Downloading now, will post when I've had a chance to try it out.

Update:
    Tried out the demo mission and I like the basic concept. Once I got used to the difference between "normal" mode and "attack" and figured out how to equip items (I'm slow sometimes) things went fairly well. I like that if I simply walked in with guns drawn people would raise the alarm and I'd get my **** handed to me. Setting off false alarms and sneaking around got me a lot further and I like that the game encourages the player to think around things, rather than just push through.

I have a few suggestions for the next release. One would be to have the player's gun pack a little more of a punch. It seems odd that a machine gun at point-blank range doesn't appear to hurt targets (or at least did not hurt them much), even after multiple shots. My only other suggestion would be to have the player's character walk to items out of reach. Sometimes I'd right-click on an item just a few feet away and see the message indicating it was out of reach. It would be handy if items close by and in a straight line from the player's character would cause the character to walk up to the item.

I tried the game both in windowed mode and full screen on Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit). Sound worked really well, the graphics were good, even on my old Intel integrated card. No serious bugs or problems to report.

Second update: It would be nice if the player could shoot through windows, especially with the sniper rifle. At one point I thought I'd get smart, fought my way through a (lightly guarded) neighbouring building, got up to the forth floor and I could look across the street into the target's office. Sadly, I couldn't find any way to target people outside the room I was in. People in the office across the street and people in the parking lot below me couldn't be targeted. I guess my approach was a little too far "outside the box".
    Last edited by thnewguy; September 30th, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: More info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the feedback - both here and at my forums! You can shoot the guy from the other building, but you have to get him to move up to the window somehow... It requires some knowledge that will probably be demonstrated through tutorials in the finished game, though, so it's a bit obscure in this test map. You can't currently shoot at characters on another level, though, which is why you couldn't target the people running around outside.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

First week in release and combat improvements
    October 1st

Hostile Takeover was released into the wild last week, and so far the latest v0.1.2 has been downloaded almost 300 times in 2 days. So that's awesome. I've also received a bunch of great feedback and fixed various bugs.

The most pressing issue seems to be the combat. Simply put, for an assassin, you get killed way too easily in a gunfight with guards. So I've made three changes to address this: Your shooting animation is no longer interrupted when you take damage, your chance to hit has been improved, and AIs can't deal you a critical one-shot kill anymore. I've also added damage indicators that show how much damage is dealt. This will all be in v0.1.3, which I'll probably release when I've also fixed a bug with an infinite loop that freezes the game.

In the long run, I'll be adding melee combat. The current idea is that if you're standing right next to a target, an attack will automatically be with melee combat, while if the target is further away, it's a ranged attack (i.e. shooting). Melee combat will also be used for sneaking up behind a target and slitting his throat or administering a sedative. For stealthy ranged attacks, I'll probably also be adding a pistol with a silencer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Release: v0.1.3
    October 6th

Changes:

- Fixed bug that would freeze the game when loading a new objective from the script file (temporary script file wasn't created when loading a game, only when starting new game).
    - Fixed rare crashing bug when drawing the character selection border.
    - Fixed patrolling AIs being stopped indefinitely by a locked door.
    - Fixed issue that would make inventory items disappear if you tried to use them on something they can't be used on.
    - Higher chance of player hitting target when shooting (non-aimed).
    - Player aiming/shooting animations won't get interrupted when taking damage.
    - Balancing of damage given when shooting.
    - Damage dealt shown.
    - You can now also rotate the map with Q and E.

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3 for Windows (19 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3 for Linux 32-bit (19 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3 for Linux 64-bit (19 MB)

If you've previously downloaded v0.1.2, you can just download the new executables and replace the v0.1.2 ones:

Windows (executable only) (3.9 MB)
    Linux 32-bit (executable only) (4.1 MB)
    Linux 64-bit (executable only) (3.9 MB)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here's a quick bug-fix release I wanted out, as the next release will probably take a week or two to get out:

- Fixed bug that crashed the game when placing a device.
    - Fixed bug with item labels (for picking up stuff from the ground or placed devices) not being positioned correctly if resolution changed.
    - Fixed issue with attacking guards constantly opening and closing a door if the target is right on the other side.

Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3.1 for Windows (19 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3.1 for Linux 32-bit (19 MB)
    Hostile Takeover Pre-Alpha Demo v0.1.3.1 for Linux 64-bit (19 MB)

If you've previously downloaded v0.1.3, you can just download the new executables and replace the v0.1.3 ones:

Windows (executable only) (3.9 MB)
    Linux 32-bit (executable only) (4.1 MB)
    Linux 64-bit (executable only) (3.9 MB)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast