Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precise Advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Precise Advice

Fortunately my Intel MoBo allows me to disable my SATA hdd and run my IDE hdd separately. After reading a lot of forums and listening to old timers I decided it would be wise to start working Precise from a separate HDD, in anticipation that there will be breakage (oh joy) With this Intel board I can run my SATA installs without cracking open my tower..

regards

Beans
    Distro

Re: Precise Advice

You can totally disable one of the HDDs in the BIOS boot devices, activate another, etc. Or simply select the preferred boot device during boot (generally the BIOS asks for the F12 key to display the boot device selection).

If you have a eSATA or USB3, you can use a external HDD with no loss in performance. Also a good option.

I hate dual booting and switching between PCs, so there's not too many options for me: Either I risk keeping precise as the primary OS or put it in a VM (and deal with poor hardware acceleration issues in VIrtualBox and VmWare).

I'm not sure but I think I could get PCI passthrough and real video 3D accel using KVM/Qemu? Anyone using it?

Beans
    Distro

I am looking to get an AB switch box or KVM to hook up two PCs. This way , no dual booting. I want to run Precise repos on a high speed tower and then switch to another tower for stable. This will make alpha/beta testing more interesting and less hassle.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Last edited by ventrical; November 12th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have just installed OO 64Bits and PP64Bits to VMWare Player VMs and, despite the fact that theres no 3D Acceleration for Video, I can get an amazing performance running the Ubuntu 2D Session simultaneously in the two VMs under PP as the host native OS (Unity Session). I had set each VM to use up to 4GB and 4 CPU Cores but in fact each is using more or less 1GB and CPUs are not being used more than 25%. There's virtually no impact on the host.

I made a script to auto clone the PP VM easily, so I can always have a fresh PP install to boot and test stuff and simply discard afterwards.

For tests requiring 3D Acceleration, one can use VirtualBox. It doesn't have an amazing performance, but does support the GL requirements of Unity. I have created two VMs (OO64 and PP64) on VirtualBox now and both are performing Unity Sessions perfectly. I'm amazed with the performance, it's the perfect testing environment.

There's recent news about VMWare, that it is soon gonna release a new Linux Guest Video Driver that is capable of both hardware acceleration and software rendering using Galium3D. So maybe it is a good choice to stick to VMWare.

For now, anyway, it's a no go for 3D on VMWare...
    Code:
    ahsl@ahsl-VM:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string:   Mesa Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
    OpenGL version string:  2.1 Mesa 7.11

Not software rendered:    no
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  no
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       no
    ahsl@ahsl-VM:~$
    ...and good support on VirtualBox:
    Code:
    ahsl@AHSL-VBOX-PP:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string:   Humper
    OpenGL renderer string: Chromium
    OpenGL version string:  2.1 Chromium 1.9

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes
    ahsl@AHSL-VBOX-PP:~$
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; November 13th, 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Fortunately my Intel MoBo allows me to disable my SATA hdd and run my IDE hdd separately. After reading a lot of forums and listening to old timers I decided it would be wise to start working Precise from a separate HDD, in anticipation that there will be breakage (oh joy) With this Intel board I can run my SATA installs without cracking open my tower..

regards
    Could you possibly have come up with a worse title for this thread

I guess it's good to draw traffic

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Could you possibly have come up with a worse title for this thread

I guess it's good to draw traffic
    I'm just a beta tester. I'm just trying to keep the flow going. I'm trying to push my hardware to the limit. I am trying to prepare myself for 'breakage' to come. It's just too easy to get complacent .

Beans
    Distro

@effenberg,

I have an olde AMD 64 AthelonX2 on an Acer Extensa but it's running in 32 bit mode. If I install VirtualBox in 32bit mode can I load the 64bit Precise in the vBox?

As for Unity 2D .. YEAH !! I really like it. Actually I like the smooth scrolling. I am typing this message from a USB running Precise on a Dell Inspiron B130.

Beans
    Distro

@effenberg,

I have an olde AMD 64 AthelonX2 on an Acer Extensa but it's running in 32 bit mode. If I install VirtualBox in 32bit mode can I load the 64bit Precise in the vBox?
    I know running a 64bit Guest in a 32Bit Host OS created some problems in the past and that it became possible some time ago, but it creates a lot of overhead, because of memory addresses translation. 64->32 32->64, etc. You also won't have a speed gain from nested paging. And you need your cpu to support virtualization extensions (AMD-V, Intel VTx), otherwise it's a no go. Check with cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep --color svm. There's better info here: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch0...ro-64bitguests

So, if I could you some advice, I would tell you to install your Host in 64bits, that way you can test 32 and 64bits without having to go through any particular issue.

EDIT: Maybe you should test running Ubuntu 64-bit on it first via USB or CD to check how it performs.

As for Unity 2D .. YEAH !! I really like it. Actually I like the smooth scrolling. I am typing this message from a USB running Precise on a Dell Inspiron B130.
    IMHO you lose so little in comparison to a "3D" session, I don't know why people bother so much. The performance is really light and fast, even in standard and low-end hardware. I tested it on a VM with a single 1GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM and it ran nicely.

I'm looking forward for better ways to emulate video hardware. Now, we can enable/disable 2D and 3D support (but support is limited, as well as performance) and the amount of video memory. It would be great for software testing and development if further options could also be customized (GPU Speed and Cores, etc).
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; November 13th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Precise Advice

USB hard drive running Precise Pangolin here. Insulates the hard drive from being screwed up by unstable development release code, to a degree.

Huge warning - when doing an "install" from CD Daily build or wherever, especially near Alpha time, "unstable development install ubiquity" can and will get any number of bugs. Development has demonstrably little interest in Ubiquity and Grub. Severe bugs persist for weeks. Or months.

Install onto a USB hard drive has even killed Windoze on my main my hard drive. Took eons and four DVD's to re-install. How does that happen? /dev/sdx gets mixed up.

On my fast tower pc, the boot IDE hard drive is /dev/sda and the SATA is /dev/sdb for Lucid Lynx LTS, Meerkat, and Narwhal.

Oneiric Ocelot has decided that the boot IDE hard drive is /dev/sdb (!) and the secondary SATA is /dev/sda. (!) Totally switched around. Yes I entered a Launchpad bug, and no development is interested.

Caveat emptor.

Jerry

p.s. Why any windoze around? My wife supports a couple websites with proprietary software Dreamweaver, not available on Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Jerry thats exactly why I tedt on a dedicated test box and don't let a developement version of any distro anywhere near anything I actually care about ( or the first install of a release version of anything).
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast