Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Health and Fitness

Beans

Re: Health and Fitness

that's cool that you're getting healthy and everything. i think you should consider buying a book on eating healthy. i've heard, and it's kind of obvious, that what you eat is as important as actually working out when you're trying to get in shape. so, i did a search for "eating healthy" on amazon and this was the top result: http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Drink-Be-H...1137423&sr=8-1

it looks perfect, mainly because of the harvard tag on it. but whichever book most appeals to you, i would strongly encourage you buying it and seriously reading through the whole thing. nutrition is just a thing you learn, so once you take the time to formally learn it, it kind of sticks with you and you don't have to worry about it so much anymore.

Beans

I have turned to Ancestral Eating much like you can read on from www.dietdoctor.com
    Basicly I eat very little complex carbs and simple carbs. I however do eat lots of lean meats, good fats and fibrous carbs.
    The few complex carbs I take in are normally just my two peaces of whole grain wheat toast that I use to make a Turkey or Ham sandwich in the morning for breakfast. Rest of the day I eat a equal portion size of proteins and fibrous carbs such as 8oz Tillapia and 6 Brussle Sprouts for example. I steer away from processed foods, starches like potatoes and those so yummy sweets like Choc Cake and Pecan pies. I also drink very very very little soda pop now, I may have one or two diet 7-ups maybe a week at most. Rest of the time its water and 0%/Skim Milk.

FYI the US Food Pyramid the FDA endorces is killing people. Since they started putting down all fats in 1984 and pushing the food pyramid way of eating we have went from about 3 million with diabetes to 350 million with diabetes.. Hows those Fries and Shakes tasting now!
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

It's more a lifestyle thing as someone else mentioned.

Stop eating junk food / take-aways. There are much healtheir/tastier food out there. Just by doing this you will lose weight.
    Try and cut out some sugar & fat, oily/greasy food etc. Snacking on candy, chips etc is not cool. Stay away from fizzy drinks etc. There are healthier snacks out there, like fruit & crackers. You can eat as much fruit and veggies as you like.
    Cardio based exercises are good for you, I would not worry about weight based training as you get exercises you can do against your own body weight. The exercise I enjoyed the most and did not find boring was Tae Bo, these days I surf & swim.

I'm fortunate that I don't have a sweet tooth though and eat everything I want but the things that are not so good for you I eat in moderation and don't believe in depriving myself of anything I feel like. I'll eat a 400g rump steak or a six lamb chops without any guilt but that's only once a week kinda thing, call it a treat.

Beans

I actually want to put on more muscle mass. So even though weight training isnt essential for me to loose weight, cardio alone will burn off fat and muscle both at the same time. So to keep from loosing most the muscle I have then this is where the weight training comes in. Right now I am just above 163LBS Lean Body Mass. For me to get to 200LBS and be %10 body fat (which is my first goal) I actually need to put on 23LBS more muscle. Which I dont see myself being able to do by the end of the year, but come summer of next year I "should" be getting close. As long as I can get to 200LBS and be at or below %20 body fat by the end of this year I will be super happy. Yea I aint trying to get skinny, I want to look beastly.. LOL
    I first want to get to looking something like Clay Mathews here from the Green Bay Packers. Hes pretty cut for a line backer and to me this is a healthy balance between skinny and Fouad

Guess my final destination would be like The Hulk here..
    Last edited by Bandit; November 13th, 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Edited for editing
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I first want to get to looking something like Clay Mathews here from the Green Bay Packers. Hes pretty cut for a line backer and to me this is a healthy balance between skinny and Fouad

Guess my final destination would be like The Hulk here..
    That does not appeal to me at all but different strokes for different folks. I know a guy that was build like the hulk but he stopped that as he got into cage fighting and is now much smaller. It's also hard work to maintain that bulk, more natural cut look is easier.
    This is where I would like to be at:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/...e72ff89770.jpg
    http://bradscottfitness.com/wp-conte...ub-Workout.jpg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That does not appeal to me at all but different strokes for different folks. I know a guy that was build like the hulk but he stopped that as he got into cage fighting and is now much smaller. It's also hard work to maintain that bulk, more natural cut look is easier.
    This is where I would like to be at:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/...e72ff89770.jpg
    http://bradscottfitness.com/wp-conte...ub-Workout.jpg
    Yea I have been like that before, right after bootcamp. But honestly I felt to weak and lost a lot of wrestling matches with to my friends. Keep in mind muscle size also always doesnt determin strength. I have seen some huge men barely lift their own body weight and have seen people half their size bench twice as much. I used to have a friend from Philly that could bench 275 and tell you about the drunken braw he had the night before while lifting and had some other freinds that where much larger not even come close to lifting 200.

But honestly between you and I, if I can get to this shape Chris Hemsworth in Thor. I will be tickled crapless.. lol And just stick to maintaining that.

Beans

How tall are you as you are pretty light?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hooray, good for you! Just keep going and do whatever exercise you enjoy. Any is better than none!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My big moment was quitting smoking. I smoked for 10 years. Have not smoked in almost 3 months. I know its not that long, but it was for me.
    Pack a day.
    Now its time to move on to exercise. I am very interested in P90-X. Just need to get my lazy *** out there and doing it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    How tall are you as you are pretty light?
    5 foot 6 inches, 66inches. At 221Lbs, 17.75" neck, 40.5" waist (stomach) I am at %26.03 body fat this morning. Not to bad considering when I started out I was at %38.16 and 259 pounds with a 51 inch stomach waist.

Quote Originally Posted by bedpotato View Post
    Hooray, good for you! Just keep going and do whatever exercise you enjoy. Any is better than none!
    Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    My big moment was quitting smoking. I smoked for 10 years. Have not smoked in almost 3 months. I know its not that long, but it was for me.
    Pack a day.
    Now its time to move on to exercise. I am very interested in P90-X. Just need to get my lazy *** out there and doing it!
    Hardest part is getting started. The first two weeks I got back into working out I was only doing 5 mins of cardio 3 times a week plus just goofing off with my weights getting back into the hang of using them correctly.
    Now I do 60 mins of resistance cardio 6 times a week and have a split weight training routine consisting of compound exercises utilizing both 3x12 sets and FST-7 sets.
    I was never that good at many of those P90-X, Taebo and other exercises. Guess I am just not that coordinated on my feet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast