Thread: System Freezes While Moving Windows Around

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

System Freezes While Moving Windows Around

Hey guys,
    I'm planning to do a complete reinstall, to deal with a number of issues related to flaky Unity and Gnome-Shell, but thought to run this one by you first, to see if anyone had any ideas.

Basically, on occasion / frequently, my Unity/Ubuntu shell gets in this 'mood' where, when I move windows around, the system stalls completely. It only happens while the mouse button is held down and the mouse is moving. When I stop moving the window, everything 'catches back up.' For all intents and purposes, everything else Unity-related / compiz-related is running beautifully, and quickly. No apparent problems.
    I tried disabling "Move Window" in the Compiz Settings Manager but, when I re-enabled it, my whole shell crashed, leaving all windows without any borders - and without any way to log out or start a terminal session.
    After restarting, I opened a System Monitor session and watched the CPU graphs. While idle, my four CPUs are running at about 4%. While I'm moving a window around, the graphs are all frozen along with everything else, but, when the system 'catches back up,' I can see big spikes in all four CPUs from when I was moving the window around - CPUs 1&2 seem to be jumping to about 60%, CPU 3 is jumping to about 40% and CPU 4 is jumping to about 25%, when I'm moving a window around and the computer is stalled.

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried resetting Unity and replacing the shell session, but neither of those works.

Thanks much for your time,
    --BarcSsarc

Edit: I am running Ubuntu 11.10 on a Desktop PC, Nvidia GeForce 260, 8GB RAM. Can't edit my personal settings, for some reason. :/
    Last edited by BarcSsarc; November 12th, 2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Added Ubuntu Computer Specs

Beans

Question Re: System Freezes While Moving Windows Around

Hiho!

Same strange behavior here on an i3 sandy, 4gb ram ... laptop :-/

Screenshot attached -- no programs started except htop in a terminal and settings-manager.

Idea anyone?

Soon,
    T
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: System Freezes While Moving Windows Around

I'm having the exact same problem. System completely freezes when I try to move a window. 4GB ram, Pentium 4HT. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: System Freezes While Moving Windows Around

I think for me unchecking the option "Sync to VBlank" in CompizConfig Settings Manager did the work ...

Cheers!