Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is NTFS support stable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Is NTFS support stable?

Quote Originally Posted by alex2399 View Post
    The ntfsprogs version is still the old not merged one and if you look in the Software Center, Launchpad or via apt-get you will see it has no proper write support, only ntfs-3g has whatever version it may be.
    Just checked and I have "read/write NTFS driver for FUSE - ntfs-3g 1:2011.4.12AR.4-2ubuntu3" installed. So that's not there by default then? I didn't manually add it. Perhaps the Ubuntu installer detected I had NTFS drives attached and installed it, is that possible? EDIT Just saw coffeecat's reply that clears that issue up Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Were you hibernated in Windows when you moved the files? That is often one of the major causes of issues as the hiberfile is then corrupted by some action in anther system whether Ubuntu or another install of Windows.
    Thanks for the suggestion. No I don't have hibernation enabled in Windows - it's caused issues in the past for me.

So the majority view seems to be that it works correctly then? Like I said, I haven't had a problem before, but trying to work out what happened this time. Maybe for whatever reason it didn't dismount the volumes cleanly when I shut down Ubuntu? Would there be any way to find out?
    Last edited by JonUK76; November 12th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Point of information. ntfsprogs is/was a suite of utilities for working with NTFS filesystems, and those utilities have now been merged into the ntfs-3g driver package (as JonUK76 says) as from the version that comes with 11.10. Consequently, in 11.10, the ntfsprogs package conflicts with ntfs-3g. The package ntfs-3g is installed by default in 11.10, as it has in recent Ubuntu versions, but some people are accidentally allowing it to be uninstalled by installing ntfsprogs, thinking they need ntfsprogs - which they don't.

Sorry to pick you up on this point, but there is some confusion about the whole ntfs-3g/ntfsprogs situation in 11.10, and I seem to have spent a lot of time in this forum recently telling people to re-install ntfs-3g after it has gone awol - probably because of ntfsprogs being installed.

EDIT: just to add. If you remove ntfs-3g, you lose write capability (to NTFS) but retain read. As far as I can make out, this is because the system falls back to the old read-only ntfs kernel module.
    Just checked the install log and you are right, it is installed by default but it got deleted from my machine. I suspect it was during the installation of Gparted and selecting the Add-on ntfsprogs which seemed necessary for doing "neat things in NTFS" partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by alex2399 View Post
    I suspect it was during the installation of Gparted and selecting the Add-on ntfsprogs which seemed necessary for doing "neat things in NTFS" partitions.
    Thanks for mentioning that. Yes, that's probably another reason why people are trying to install ntfsprogs. In Gparted, View -> File System Support lists ntfsprogs next to ntfs under "Required Software" which is misleading.

But it gets worse - or more bizarre. If you look at gparted's list of dependencies in Synaptic, ntfsprogs is "Suggests", which again is misleading, but it also lists "gparted" as "Conflicts"! Gparted conflicts with Gparted?
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12