Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find eeexubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Where to find eeexubuntu

The site which normally hosts the customized version of xubuntu for eee machines has been down for quite a few days. Anyone know of an alternate site where the .iso might be available?

TenPlus1 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Where to find eeexubuntu

Why not just install Xubuntu and download this program:

https://launchpad.net/~eee-control/+....9.7.0_all.deb

This lets you use the features on Asus Eee Pc's

Beans
    Distro

Re: Where to find eeexubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. Does this package also include the optimizations to customize the window manager settings for the smaller screen, as well as the utility to create the bootable USB memory stick?

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone know if eeeuser.com is gone forever? Or is the server just down temporarily?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
    Does anyone know if eeeuser.com is gone forever? Or is the server just down temporarily?

I second that request.....I've been unable to find the eeepc forums for several days now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post

Since I didn't get answers to my questions, I went ahead and tried it myself to find out empirically. I pulled down Xubuntu 11.10, used usb-creator-gtk to create a bootable 4GB USB memory stick, booted from it on my eee, downloaded and installed the eee-control package, and tried some web browsing to test the responsiveness of the installation. The machine hung (wouldn't even boot into a text console). So I installed the unetbootin package, and created another Xubuntu image on another USB stick using that utility. Downloaded the eee-control package, and it wouldn't even install. The error message said "/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /".

Once again, has everyone connected with eeeuser.com really evaporated? Does no one have a copy of the latest eeexubuntu?

Beans

eeeXubuntu was never an "official" Buntu and is quite a dead & obsolete project as far as I know.

Ubuntu and its variants (including Xubuntu) should have excellent support for the Asus EEE "out of the box" with no tweaks. If you need help running Xubuntu on your EEE, a good first step is to tell us which model number you have.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    eeeXubuntu was never an "official" Buntu and is quite a dead & obsolete project as far as I know.

Ubuntu and its variants (including Xubuntu) should have excellent support for the Asus EEE "out of the box" with no tweaks. If you need help running Xubuntu on your EEE, a good first step is to tell us which model number you have.
    This is an Eee PC 1000. So far I've been booting from USB memory sticks for my tests. At this point it may be useful to test Xubuntu by actually installing it on the system. There are two disks in the machine. The first is 8GB, divided roughly in half between /dev/sda1 (a Linux 3GB+ partition) and /dev/sda2 (a Linux 4GB+ partition) with two more tiny partitions (/dev/sda3 an 8MB W95 partition and /dev/sda4, 8MB EFI). The other device is 32GB in a single partition on /dev/sdb1, given over to the user's home directory. My plan is to back these up, using dd for the 8GB disk, and dump or tar for the larger user partition, in case the Xubuntu option doesn't work out, so I can restore back to Xandros. Then I'll install Xubuntu on /dev/sdb1 in a single partition, leaving the partition tables intact (but modifying the /dev/sdb1 MBR to boot /dev/sdb1), and actually giving myself two paths back to restoration in case that turns out to be necessary: the first being the restore partition on /dev/sda, and the other being my dd backup of /dev/sda (I'd need my backup of /dev/sdb on either path).

Then I'll install the package with the eee utilities.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
    Last edited by bkline; November 13th, 2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Supplied missing word

Beans

I have not used a 1000 model personally but I remember reading that one drive is faster than the other. You might want to research that and install Xubuntu on the faster of the two drives (using the slower drive for data/backup). It's an older model so hardware support should be excellent.

I think Xubuntu is a big step up from Xandros. If you are happy with your Live USB test drive then go for it!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I have not used a 1000 model personally but I remember reading that one drive is faster than the other. You might want to research that and install Xubuntu on the faster of the two drives (using the slower drive for data/backup).
    Good suggestion; it hadn't occurred to me that the two drives might have different performance characteristics. Clearly writing to /dev/sda is faster (by an order of magnitude) than writing to /dev/sdb. One thing I'll have to watch out for is running out of space for the OS if I leave the rescue partition intact, installing Xubuntu to /dev/sda2 (where Xandros lives right now). I'm sure Asus was working with a more pared-down distro than I'll get from Xubuntu by default. If /dev/sda2 is too tight I'll have to decide whether to go with /dev/sdb (accepting the slower performance) or merge /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 (keeping the better performance but losing one of my two restoration paths).

I'll report back on how things turn out; perhaps others might benefit from these experiments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast