Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to find eeexubuntu

Beans

Re: Where to find eeexubuntu

From what I've heard about Xandros it is quite obsolete and not really worth saving... personally I would wipe the restore partition and commit fully to the new distro.

If you want a backup of the restore partition then I believe you can use a utility such as Clonezilla (or maybe even Gparted?) to copy it to another drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    From what I've heard about Xandros it is quite obsolete and not really worth saving... personally I would wipe the restore partition and commit fully to the new distro.

If you want a backup of the restore partition then I believe you can use a utility such as Clonezilla (or maybe even Gparted?) to copy it to another drive.
    Well, I've got the entire drive cloned (twice) with dd, so I should be safe. As for Xandros, I agree that it's not aging well (the update repository hasn't had anything new for years), but it does work, and if I run into an unexpected brick wall with Ubuntu it will be good to be able to roll back.

I did notice one other bizarre thing as I was preparing for the switch. All of my descriptions of the disks so far have been based on what I see booted from the Xubuntu USB disk. However, when I boot into the installed Xandros, both the live root partition as well as the rescue partition are listed by df and mount as /dev/sda1 (with different sizes!). No idea what that could mean.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Where to find eeexubuntu

Well, that was smooth and painless. So far Xubuntu on my eee netbook has substantially exceeded my expectations. Of course, this is very early in the process, but I'm afraid anyone hoping for feedback on the restore of Xandros from my careful backups went is likely to be disappointed, as I'm not likely to turn back if things go as well as they have so far.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bkline View Post
    Does anyone know if eeeuser.com is gone forever? Or is the server just down temporarily?
    Looks like they're coming back to life, just slowly. The site now has a message saying "Maintenance: Switching to new forum software, new infrastructure, etc."

Beans
    Distro

One residual problem: the icon in the tray for eee-control displays an error message saying "Error while communicating with eee-control-daemon! Make sure it is running." I confirmed that the service is in fact in the process list. Googling this error message was fruitless (partly because the eeeuser site is still down). Anyone know what to do in response to this error message?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

....xandros is a dead duck........and those previously wonderful special OSs designed for EEEs are pretty much unnecessary a thing of the past as well.

About the only extra you may want to consider is Jupiter which may extend battery life and add a few extras features to your EEE.

When considering a new OS for your Asus you should consider Fuduntu which includes this Jupiter and is well suited for netbooks.....the install size is under 4GB so will leave you plenty of room to add any extras!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Plumtreed View Post
    When considering a new OS for your Asus you should consider Fuduntu which includes this Jupiter and is well suited for netbooks.....the install size is under 4GB so will leave you plenty of room to add any extras!
    Thanks for the tip. Never heard of Fuduntu; I'll take a look. Linux users certainly can't complain that they have no choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12