Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home folder encryption

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

home folder encryption

I chose to encrypt my home folder while installing oneireic. On the first boot, a window popped up telling me to do something important to complete the encryption process, but I overlooked it and closed the window. Was it related to setting up the pass phrase and key? How do I go about completing the process? Sorry for the lack of clarity about the actual message, it was late in the night and I overlooked it except for the fact that it was related to encryption of the home partition.
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans

Re: home folder encryption

It is a message telling you to write down the decryption key for your now encrypted home folder if case you ever had system brake down and want to retrieve the data from the home folder...

I also don't know how to make the system repeat that message...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If the encryption completed successfully, and you did not write down the passphrase, or otherwise remember what you entered -- you're HOSED!

Don't bother asking if there's any way to "crack" the password because there isn't. And, it is not stored anywhere such that you can find it.

Basically, if you don't know what you're doing, you should not be messing around with encryption.

Don't use this myself, so my guess would be that you would have to reinstall to get access back. And this time, reconsider your need for an encrypted /home folder.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Couldn't I just reinstall ubuntu? I can still log in to ubuntu btw.

No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you can login and have access to your home folder you have nothing to worry about. Just write down your passcode and move on.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can always re-install, but unless you can back up any data, pictures,etc. that is on home, it will be lost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dFlyer View Post
    If you can login and have access to your home folder you have nothing to worry about. Just write down your passcode and move on.
    How do I find out the passcode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you used encryption, there is no way that your home folder will open unless you know the pass code or log on with your account. Trust me, I tried (lol-poor me!)
    Do not re install without backing up the data, in fact, that will end any chance for you to access your files. Keeping your home folder encrypted has no problems unless your system dies as you won't be able to back them up say, with a Ubuntu live cd. Basically, you'll have to keep your files backed up at all times.

I always use home encryption and I also tend to lose my pass codes. Back up is the only way to be sure that your stuff will be there no matter what.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Basically ... you DON'T!

What would be the point of encryption if you could simply find out the passcode?
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    If your home folder opened when you logged in you know the passcode because you would have had to use it. Otherwise your home folder isn't encrypted.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast