View Poll Results: From Ubuntu to Lubuntu?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • I shifted from Ubuntu to Lubuntu

50 21.19%
  • I shifted from Ubuntu to Lubuntu and VERY HAPPY - there is no going back!

96 40.68%
  • Thinking to shift to Lubuntu but still using Ubuntu

36 15.25%
  • I'm not sure? I don't know what OS to choose and which path to go? I'm confused!

14 5.93%
  • Nuh, I'm happy with Ubuntu the way it is and not going to change it

53 22.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Switched/Shifted from Ubuntu to Lubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Talking How Many Switched/Shifted from Ubuntu to Lubuntu?

> > > > >

Note: This is NOT to debate/discuss/argue about the topic, this is a Poll to see how many users have shifted already or thinking to shift from Ubuntu to Lubuntu.

1. Have you shifted/switched already from Ubuntu to Lubuntu?
    2. Any chance to go back to Ubuntu or you are very happy with Lubuntu?
    3. Are you thinking to shift/switch from Ubuntu to Lubuntu but not so sure?
    4. You don't know whether you are staying with Ubuntu or not and you don't know what OS to choose?
    5. Are you happy with Ubuntu and not going to change no matter what?

Above are the choices for the Poll so please start voting and make sure to read the above note before posting any comment

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How Many Switched/Shifted from Ubuntu to Lubuntu?

I switched to Xubuntu, but I've migrated a friend on older hardware than I have to Lubuntu, and ma keeping an excited eye on Lubuntu. I have a spare install of it I play with. I may move over one day...

It's a very impressive build!
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Although I'm still keeping Ubuntu 11.04 on my PC but I never use it. It's there with XP for testing purposes. Soon and I mean very soon, I'm going to format and install Lubuntu 11.10 without any other OS, period.
    However, on my other machine, I'll have Multi-Booting System but Ubuntu will not be there. It's Xubuntu, Lubuntu and many other LXDE Distributions for testing purposes.

Lubuntu Dazzling People

Beans

I just switched to Lubuntu from Kubuntu. I tried the xfce and lxde desktops on Kubuntu before I made the switch.

My goal was to keep system resource usage to a minimum. My linux machine is an old Dell Dimension 2400, 2.4Ghz p4, with 620mb of ram.

The Kubuntu system with lxde running, used around 200mb of ram at idle and was running reasonable well. After installing Lubuntu, the system feels even more svelte and idle ram usage is right around 100mb. Absolutely mind blowing that a 10yr old computer with zero upgrades can still be a usable machine for web surfing and moderate usage.

After doing quite a bit of research I narrowed my chioces down to 3 distros. Lubuntu, #!crunchbag lxde, and Linux Mint lxde. Linux mint felt a little heavy for a lxde distro and #! was just a little too light. Lubuntu fits a very nice middle ground for me, being light enough while still offering enough of the bigger desktop features.

My hats off to the devs for putting out a nice product. I see this distro getting installed on my laptop in the very near future as well.

Beans

Smile Re: How Many Switched/Shifted from Ubuntu to Lubuntu?

My Specifications are as follows:

Dell E1505 (Laptop)

Intel Core T5600 @ 1.83 GHz
    2GB RAM
    500GB HDD 7200 RPM(half partitioned out for Windows)
    Running Lubuntu 11.10 (Oneric Ocelot)
    1280x800 Screen
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Even though my computer is capable of running regular ubuntu 11.10, it got to the point where I did not want to any longer. The entire environment became more and more resource heavy. Then, one day they just decided to switch to a unity interface, with a forced implementation of some dock bar on the side.

and to top it all off, I could not boot into ubuntu "classic mode". I was practically forced to switch.

If lubuntu stays on the same path of being less resource intensive and keeping relatively similar desktop environments (or environments which are more for functionality then for eye candy), and if ubuntu regular continues to follow this same arbitrary path then I am a permanent lubuntu user.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the poll should specify the incarnation of ubuntu to lubuntu. Up until i think 11.04, I could at least still boot into classic mode.
    Last edited by Finitemight; November 10th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nah, I moved from Ubuntu to kubuntu. I'm back in 'love' with it because it is actually a little faster than before. It's cool that I own windows 7 yet prefer Kubuntu. Unity is OK, but I'm a bit set in my ways.

The specs are as follows:

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Actually, I switched over from Xubuntu 11.04. While I was quite pleased with it, it seemed like it started to slow down a bit. Especially Thunar, it took some time for it to load. Also, xfce isn't the most user friendly when editing the main menu, not that I minded the challenge. All in all, with a new releasen I wanted a "new" experience and insofar, I haven't been disappointed.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just curious, but aren't kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu all still Ubuntu, but with different desktop environments?

I've been playing with Lubuntu on a test drive, so far it's been working pretty well. I'll have more time to try new things after the holidays. I have several family members and friends who are using Ubuntu...and it's my fault lol...and they've been asking about upgrading (most are on Maverick, some on Lucid). I need to come up with some answers for them one of these days. I'm hoping things settle down by the time Precious Pangolin comes around. But I'm still trying out some alternatives, just in case.

Beans

"Just curious, but aren't kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu all still Ubuntu, but with different desktop environments?"

Yup, it is actually rather funny how Canonical tries their damndest to force Ubuntu to be a single DE system, but there is really no reason why a user cannot install multiple DEs on the same system like all the other Linux distributions do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What a pleasure Lubuntu is to use, I have in the past built minimal OS's and always gravitated to the simplicity of Openbox, but could not ever get them just right, Lubuntu is my dream come true.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast