Thread: System halts on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

System halts on boot

Hi,
    I’ve tried to install Xubuntu 11.10 on my system. The installation went smoothly till I had to reboot my system in order to finalize the installation. Booting the BIOS gave no problems, I saw the boot screen of Xubuntu and after a few seconds it started blinking and then I saw a black screen with those “command lines” (or boot sequence or how-do-you-call it) and then my system halted. Nothing happened except the cursosr whoch was blinking. No hard disc activity, nothing. I let the system that way for a half an hour and still nothing happened.
    My system:
    Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboard
    Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    NVidia GeForce 9500 GT
    4 Gigabyte memory
    1 TB HDD
    500 Gb HDD
    1.5 TB external USB Disc
    HP ePhotosmart B110a
    Does anyone know what my problem might be? And is there a solution for my problem?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by crazy bird; November 13th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Beans

Re: System halts on boot

What is the last line of the boot sequence that gets to the screen before it hangs? If it ends with [OK] that will mean that it's hanging on the next item, and somebody might know that that is. And, did any of the items listed fail? It might be significant.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by crazy bird View Post
    Hi,
    I’ve tried to install Xubuntu 11.10 on my system. The installation went smoothly till I had to reboot my system in order to finalize the installation. Booting the BIOS gave no problems, I saw the boot screen of Xubuntu and after a few seconds it started blinking and then I saw a black screen with those “command lines” (or boot sequence or how-do-you-call it) and then my system halted. Nothing happened except the cursosr whoch was blinking. No hard disc activity, nothing. I let the system that way for a half an hour and still nothing happened.
    My system:
    Asus P5KPL-AM Motherboard
    Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
    NVidia Geforce 9800GT
    4 Gigabyte memory
    1 TB HDD
    500 Gb HDD
    1.5 TB external USB Disc
    HP ePhotosmart B110a
    Does anyone know what my problem might be? And is there a solution for my problem?
    Many thanks in advance!
    LOL... Respect to Post #2, but since it's a new install and you have NVidia, the message on the screen is most likely "chacking the battery state" thru the "system 5 compatability" message... Meaning the video driver it not loading. On a fresh install w/ nvidia, that's because you haven't install it yet:
    Reboot. > On Boot, hold down the shift key. > When the Grub Menu comes up, press "e" to enter an edit menu. > Arrow down to the line that starts with "linux." > Arrow right to after where it says "quiet splash" and before it says "vt.handoff=7" > Insert the text "nomodeset" > Press <cntrl><x> to boot with those options.

It should boot to the desktop. When it does, install your nvidia-current video drivers.

Tell me how it goes.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I wish you had popped in when my sister's Ubuntu box was hanging at exactly that point. It turns out that her computer's auxiliary video card (unused) was bad and removing it got things working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just discovered a mistake, i don't have the Geforce 9800GT card but the NVidia GeForce 9500 GT videocard! My apologies!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I have a similar problem to crazy bird.
    I installed Xubuntu on a Sony Vaio VGN-T1XP little laptop with 1GB memory, alonside XP.
    I briefly get the Xubuntu splash logo then blank screen forever.

As per MAFoElffen's suggestion I tried going into edit mode on boot as per suggestion and adding "nomodeset" but no joy with it.
    There was no "vt.handoff=7" anywhere in the box.
    This is how the text stands at the moment:-

GNU GRUB version 1.98-lubuntu10
    recordfail
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,5) '
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c23738cb-e57d-9176-5a64e3945\676
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.632-28-generic root=UUID=c23738cb-e57d-438a-9\176-5a64e3945676 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-28-generic

There may be a typing error or two.

Can you offer any suggestions please.

Beans

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, (about the time this thread was started)
    I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but here's what I remember.

I think if you press F1, ALT+F1 or CTRL+ALT+F1 it will open a terminal.
    From there you should be able to log in.

Then type
    Code:
    startx
    or maybe
    Code:
     startxfce
    Hopefully that will get you going, but you will have to do that every boot.

There were a couple of files that needed editing to do it automatically, but I have no clue as to what they are.

I think one file would automatically log you into tty1 and
    The other would start the xfce-desktop after the login into tty1.

Good Luck, I know I need it.