Thread: Failed 11.10 upgrade over network, Can I upgrade from the ISO?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Failed 11.10 upgrade over network, Can I upgrade from the ISO?

I had a major failure upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 via update manager, leaving my system 90% unusable.

I cannot get past login(lightdm),and neither unity nor ubuntu-desktop is installed. I cannot get to the desktop or grab a wireless signal without the live image.

I can get to the console (alt+ctrl+f1). If I could gain wireless access I may be able to fix all broken packages in aptitude.

But I do have the 11.10 live image on a usb stick. Which is what I am writing this on now.

So can I try to upgrade again from the image? I'm pretty sure you could do this for 11.04.

I see this post is somewhat relevant but I am using the desktop image on a usb stick not a cd. If that post is relevant, I'd like to know where I can locate "cdromupgrade." I could use the alternate cd image on another usb stick if that is necessary.

So is it possible to upgrade 11.04 to 11.10 via the desktop live cd without network access?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Last edited by winchendonsprings; November 9th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Beans

Re: Failed 11.10 upgrade over network, Can I upgrade from the ISO?

Until last year only alternate CD was able to do upgrade from CD.Now you can do it with livr CD,but I have to say that I never try that method.I don´t know if pst you mentioned is relevan to you if you already have 11.10.You can not upgrade that,because it is lates version.Run

Code:
    lsb_release -a
    to be sure witch version do you have.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Failed 11.10 upgrade over network, Can I upgrade from the ISO?

Yeah, you can do that - just download the .iso file to an existing place on your hard disk (or even to the USB stick if it's got a large enough capacity) and use the commands in the link you provided.
    Good luck,
    - search
    P.S. Try to fix your wifi first.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."