Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I replace LibreOffice with OpenOffice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Should I replace LibreOffice with OpenOffice?

Hey.... I don't think so that libreoffice is having everything which openoffice is having.... so if u r not having trouble with libre office then what's the need of switching to openoffice .....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Either are fine. Eventually libreoffice will be the default option due to licenses.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Jouke74 View Post
    I stuck with Openoffice for the same reason as mentioned. It works and is substantially more stable than Libreoffice. Everytime I tried Libreoffice I had to make sure that the autosave option was set to a max of 5 minutes... It is really a shame that it was forked, because just before the fork it started to be a quite stable Linux alternative to MS Office.
    Really? It's more stable?

Could be. i have Libre on windows maschine and OOo on Kubuntu 10.10. What i noticed is the incomatibility with MS Word 2003 on OOo. I transfered a large book to it and it failed to display footer and header propperly. Libre the lates version failed to load the document for some reason. but a bit older stabel version loaded it almost pefectly and the only difference was bullets which were defaulted to square dots. i guess it's an easy fix if needed at all...

Also transfering the whole 300page thing to PDF - libre office did a good job. but i have to admit i haven't used much of both.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cbraxton View Post
    If your primary use is word processing, I would say neither - use Abiword instead.
    Well you're right saying Abiword's better than both Office suites. I have tested it and found their office suites to be annoying. Like one example was when I tried to type this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    end of file

Their program took the ~~~~ and made a line out of it that extended across the entire page and when trying to make it accept what I typed in turned out to be impossible. I even tried something in place of the ~~~~ like ==== but it did it anyway. Very annoying.

Abiword's the only one that accepts it as typed.

Another example was trying to change font color several times in a document. Abiword lets me do that with ease.

+1 for Abiword!
    Last edited by pretty_whistle; November 9th, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah abiword and gnumeric are great, but I tend to use Impress a lot as well (college slides). Therefore to have Openoffice + abiword + Gnumeric installed on a netbook is somewhat overkill.

Indeed I also noticed the improved importing of MS documents in Libreoffice, and I am sure that i will be much more stable soon. Maybe I should retry it again soon. But for now I like the bit larger stability of OOO.

Having also issues with OOO. The autocorrect function is very frustrating, and also deleting stuff from a spreadsheet is annoyingly complicated.

From all these office tools they should take their best code parts and make a single good office suite that really can compete with MS, and I don't mean visually but practically. (IMHO)
    That was left handed...

Beans

LibreOffice released version 3.4.4 today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rattskjelke View Post
    Oh yeah. Wonder if it's better than 3.3.4. I use Impress somewhat and can't use Abiword for that one..........
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rattskjelke View Post
    I can't get a linux version from their site and the one in software center is the old one I have now. No luck for me.

Never mind me, all wrong.
    Last edited by pretty_whistle; November 10th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
    Linux user #572109

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am annoyed at Ubuntu changing over from OOo to Libre as OOo was fast becoming a decent rival to MS Office. It had a LARGE repository for Templates, and allowed direct transfer from MS Documents with hardly any cross-over problems. Until Libre proves itself I think I`ll be staying with OOo for the forseeable future

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I found 3.4 release of LibreOffice a good substitute for OpenOffice. Many bugs which kept me from using it were resolved. Since all distributions are tending to switch to LibreOffice it seems the only full-featured office suite in future. And of course one should stay with it to get security updates in a timely manner.
    Last edited by AlexDudko; November 18th, 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12