Thread: Convert Evolution to Thunderbird

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Convert Evolution to Thunderbird

I've backed up my emails using the Evolution "backup". I'm trying to get Thunderbird to import those, but when I run Thunderbird, the First Run screen offers to "Import Everything" but then freezes. Anybody got a clue?
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Convert Evolution to Thunderbird

check out this thread,
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1861558

talks about using the add-in, 'ImportExportTools', rather than the built-in importer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Mr. bsmith1051

Thanks, that's a step in the right direction. I installed the ImportExportTool or Tools (I've forgotten the exact name).

Upon calling (pulling the Tools Menu down, finding Import/Export) and selecting the option, I saw what you will see on the attached screenshot.

My problem is that the backed-up Evolution file ends in .tar.gz and the Thunderbird "Choose the Import Way" windows DOESN'T recognize the .tar.gz.

Beyond that I have no clue as to what to do next, but when this gets straightened out I'm gonna write up a brief HOW TO. ... cause this bites - not knowing what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMD FX-6300, 8gig ddr3, MSI 970 Gaming, 256G WD blue SSD, GeForce GT710, HP LJ Pro M277-fdw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I did it manually, but in 10.10 IIRC. I think Evolution has changed its file format so it may not work anymore.
    This is roughly the process I used:

http://maketecheasier.com/how-to-mig...pid/2008/12/04

It took me a few attempts to get it right & it worked in the end. I didn't use the calendar & tasks so that wasn't an issue for me.

Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I looked for the Inbox, Sent, Trash and such, but there are not in my .evolution folder.

thank you for the help. I am not going to pursue this at this time. It taking WAY too long to do emails.