Thread: Software Management missing in System Settings

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Software Management missing in System Settings

I just did a clean new install of a 32 bit Kubuntu 11.10 from DVD on an old machine and noticed right away that the Software Management icon was missing in the System Settings panel. Everything else seemed to be working fine. Since I had not done anything with that machine yet, I just re-installed (wanted to re-do the partitioning anyway) - same problem - at least we have consistency

Could anybody please shed some light on this as to how that could have happened (just for my education) and, probably more importantly, how to fix it?

Of course, there is always synaptic and most of my installs I do using apt-get if I know what I need, but it would just be nice to have the proper tools available and know what is going on.

Beans

Re: Software Management missing in System Settings

We have two GUI apps, Muon package manager and Muon software center, on 11.10. Both can be found under Applications > System.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks mister_playboy,

the muon software center is what I was expecting to see in the "System Settings". I guess that gets me 90% there as this is the tool I wanted to use - I just didn't know what it was called. For the remaining 10%, would you know if there is any configuration file for the System Settings (found under "Favorits") that I could hack such that the Muon Software Center shows up there as "Software Management" as it does on all of my other machines? There is an Editor for the "Applications" tab but not for the "Favorits" tab and its "System Settings" submenu. But from here on it is mainly "just cosmetics".

Beans

My guess was that might be done by editing one of the files in ~/.kde/share/apps or ~/.kde/share/config, but I don't see any file apparently related to the System Settings.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could give you a clearer answer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yup - I had looked there earlier - and in ./config - to see if there was anything remotely related to System Settings that I could diff to the other machines where it is working fine - but with no luck. Any KDE gurus out there?

Again, at the moment this is mostly cosmetic, but I'd just like to know...

Beans

You have to install kpackagekit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yo Dude - you're a genius! That did the trick.

Thanks a bunch!!!