Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C Source code found in Seamonkey Cache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: C Source code found in Seamonkey Cache

Nah - I'm not too worried

I had a late night on the Forum on Monday night & clicked on a couple of external links ( with javascript enabled ). Some of the guys had also been posting images located on external servers. My system clears the browser cache on exit. So I had a quick look in the Cache to see if anything interesting was there before going to bed . Nautilus said one of the file was C source code which set my alarm bells ringing.

One of the security tips I've come across is remove compilers so executables can't be assembled on your system. It was too late at night to look into it so I saved the contents of the Cache as a precaution. Further inspection proved it wasn't C source code. I'd spot that sort of thing a mile away - I was brought up on assembler and ANSI C in the 80's and 90's

I'm guessing from a security point of view that IF someone was going to hack your system with scripts then the likely location to find those scripts to be downloaded would be in the Browser Cache? The Cache on IE explorer on Microsoft Windows was easy enough to access. The Mozilla Directories in Ubuntu have weird and wonderful files that you can't access when you click on them. It looks like I've still got a bit of homework to do

I'm not at all familar with Java, Javascript, PHP, Perl,etc. I ain't worked in computing since the mid 90's The Code structure looks familiar enough though - some of it looks like it's modeled on C and I shouldn't have too much trouble getting to grips with this sort of stuff.

Ta for your contributions.
    You can take my trousers but you won't take my Freedom !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: C Source code found in Seamonkey Cache

If you're happy, please mark the thread as solved.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12