Thread: Ubuntu Upgrade? (Question)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Ubuntu Upgrade? (Question)

Hello All:

I was wondering what you think about Upgrading from 11.04 to the latest (11.10)?. ( I think it said 11.10)
    This is an Asus laptop with i5 core (which I hate its keyboard), I am dual booting with Win 7 x64 (which came with this) 4 Gig RAM and maximum partition as allowed by Wubi...
    Right now using Ubuntu (but I was away from my new laptop for a long time) I turn it on today and it came up with the upgrade (I expected an update not upgrade) so I canceled in middle of download and thought I'd better ask you guys to see if there are problems with the latest version?

Thank You All In Advance!

PS I am an old fashion user (the lynx and pine days lol)
    so I dont like this new empty look (such as the new browsers have done with their dumb new looks, supposed to leave more space for the page? umm I donno? some even hide the address bar)...
    In Linux the more == the better (to me anyway, I want my menu, tools etc. right there)

sorry, but I had to tell you my likes and dislikes..
    Regards;

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Upgrade? (Question)

Burn a Live CD or Live USB of 11.10 and evaluate it for yourself.

If you browse the forums, you'll see that the reviews are mixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

it came up with the upgrade (I expected an update not upgrade) so I canceled in middle of download
    Unless you specifically clicked 'Upgrade" at the top of the page, it was only downloading updates. You have to choose to Upgrade.

I suggest reading as much of the forums as you can stand on up grading. It works for some and not others. A fresh install usually works better if you can save your work. But it does work for some. Read the comments.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by matey3 View Post
    Hello All:

I was wondering what you think about Upgrading from 11.04 to the latest (11.10)?. ( I think it said 11.10)
    This is an Asus laptop with i5 core (which I hate its keyboard), I am dual booting with Win 7 x64 (which came with this) 4 Gig RAM and maximum partition as allowed by Wubi...
    Right now using Ubuntu (but I was away from my new laptop for a long time) I turn it on today and it came up with the upgrade (I expected an update not upgrade) so I canceled in middle of download and thought I'd better ask you guys to see if there are problems with the latest version?

Thank You All In Advance!

PS I am an old fashion user (the lynx and pine days lol)
    so I dont like this new empty look (such as the new browsers have done with their dumb new looks, supposed to leave more space for the page? umm I donno? some even hide the address bar)...
    In Linux the more == the better (to me anyway, I want my menu, tools etc. right there)

sorry, but I had to tell you my likes and dislikes..
    Regards;

You said it yourself about being old fashioned. Unity is NOT that.
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate || My WIKI
    ---------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I want my menu, tools etc. right there)
    This would be 11.04. I prefer it.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu Upgrade? (Question)

Thanks to each and everyone of you for your kind replies.
    good ideas.

I appreciate it. (got to restart the browser, it updated now, yeah...)

(and Yes, later I saw the choice of update as opposed to upgrade)

Best Regards;

med