Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Acpi help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Acpi help

well... I am trying something totally different now. I wiped out my install, and installed the 64 bit version (since this is AMD) I have run it successfully with the acpi_osi=\"Windows 2006\" option. This may be the final post before I mark it solved.... we shall see....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

so far this has worked flawlessly.
    I guess the AMD needed the 64 bit (w/ Win 2006 option).
    It may be that the BIOS is bad, but there seems to always be a workaround in Linux.
    Thanks for spurring me onward Toz. If it keeps working I will mark it as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS View Post
    I checked my BIOS... and there were no options like that.... I have read that trying to update the BIOS in Linux is a last ditch effort. I don't really want to load windows on here just to update BIOS....
    I have considered doing it before.... but I never have.
    If so... do you know a good way to do it... I am sure wine is a bad deal, since it is kinda buggy with some windows programs, I don't want to half flash my BIOS and end up with a brick....
    I'd rather just use acpi=off....
    Have you looked for a DOS-based Flash utility from your motherboard manufacturer (some still issue them, and I've seen recommendations to ALWAYS flash BIOS (and other EEPROM's) from a DOS or "DOS-like" OS from several manufacturers.) I've also seen where one manufacturer only has Windows-based flash utilities for their AWARD BIOS (just an arbitrary example) where another motherboard/computer manufacturer will release both DOS- and Windows-based flash utilities for their AWARD BIOS. In this case, they nearly ALWAYS recommend flashing from DOS (although I have used the first company's BIOS image file with the 2nd company's DOS-based utility). I would be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the programs are for the same BRAND of BIOS (but flash utility version number often makes little to no difference).

I think that might be what I did on my HP laptop a couple of months ago (with a #@*^ "HP-ized"/hidden Phoenix BIOS) to get AMD-V hypertransport virtualization running for VMware and VirtualBox.

A couple of possibilities- if you can locate a DOS-based flash utility (and a newer BIOS image file that is correct for your mainboard), consider the freeware, non-Micro$oft FreeDOS .ISO:

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/files/

There are also many places where one can download various DOS & Win95 & 98 "boot floppy" images that could be converted to a boot CD with the proper CD writing software.

I would be sure to play with your new "DOS" for several hours to test its relaibility and function BEFORE any ROM flashing though- there's a TON of free DOS programs, games, and "abandonware" on the web if you search a litte.

Option #2: Have you looked into the Linux package flashrom? (I had to use something a little similar- fxload- to try to get an external CDRW spinning again under Ubuntu to read some old archived data).

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/flashrom

I haven't used "flashrom" under Ubuntu personally YET, but I have used DOS to flash many BIOS'es and various cards with "flash" ROMs. I've used Win Vista a few times too (but it ALWAYS makes me QUITE nervous to do so).

I also like an EXTREMELY FULL battery with "live" AC power throughout the process for laptops and/or a battery-backed UPS for desktop PC's AND laptops. I've even heard of using a diesel- or gasoline-powered generator or [relatively large like my 800 Watt] car DC-to-AC inverter to power the computer with a RELIABLE, idling automobile and a full-ish tank of fuel.

Also on your working ACPI 'workaround-' have you tried these commands to see if you really are getting "Awake" signals from the ACPI system? (It might take several hours/days to see several Suspend/Awake cycles though). I've got a UF thread filed somewhere in my notes that listed the terminal commands to force suspend and hibernate for testing reasons- I'll try to find them for you.

Code:
    cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log | grep Nov
    tail -n 100 /var/log/pm-suspend.log
    dmesg | egrep 'wake|acpi|uspend|bernat|ower|esume|ailed'

cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log  | grep wake
    I recently upgraded my NVIDIA drivers to the new(est?) 285.05.09 drivers and my intermittent Suspend problems seem to have disappeared a couple of days ago.

This makes me think you might have something in common with my NVIDIA graphics 64bit AMD laptop:

00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 AGP Bridge (rev a4)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go 64M] (rev a3)
    My recent NVIDIA-ACPI-Suspend discoveries are chronicled here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=21

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@northd_tech

For BIOS flashing it lists
    Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Home Edition with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Professional with SP2
    on the website
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...42915&sw_lang=

I am not too sure I want to flash my BIOS w/o running XP SP2.... my BIOS is way outdated I'm sure Toz is right that I need to flash my BIOS mine is
    Code:
     Vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
         Version: F.11 
        Release Date: 04/30/2004
    and the current one is version F.35.... So I am adequately sure my BIOS is out of date.

I don't have a battery and therefore don't need to suspend, but if I did I am sure your link would be very appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've checked out flashrom before, and they state on their page http://www.flashrom.org/Laptops
    that they recommend using the vendor utility.... so...
    I may have to locate someone's XP disk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well...I installed Hardy Heron, and it works SOOOOOO much better. I don't need to add anything to the boot line. works out of box!!!
    So it MUST be something in the kernel that changed. I tried Feisty, and it worked also... (but a little to old for my tastes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok the long overdue update.
    It was mostdefinetly something in the Kernel. A bisection was done, and after lots of effort, I decided to try the 64 bit version (simply because I was tired of the hassle).
    Now it works perfectly. So the SOLUTION is AMD64 version of 12.04. 12.10 has some bugs.... and 13.04 requries another workaround (nomodeset) but it is not even out yet....
    So.... AMD version of 12.04 is the solution that will outlive this old computer!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456