Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Linux people' don't matter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

'Linux people' don't matter

To Ubuntu and Canonical's success. There, I said it.

Ubuntu is NOT Linux for Linux people. If you use or have ever used Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, or if you work out of a terminal, you are NOT Ubuntu's target audience. Ubuntu might work for you, but you don't matter. Kind of how Mac OS-X is not geared towards FreeBSD or PC-BSD users, it's geared towards normal people (but especially hipsters).

Look at the mobile space - it's not BSD vs Linux, it's iOS vs Android. Android is successful not because it's Linux, but because it works (and while it works in part because of Linux, other Linux mobile OSes have come and gone).

This is why CCSM and Synaptic are not included by default. The average user doesn't need them. This is why there's paid apps in the software centre, because the average user associates quality with a cost, and is willing to pay. This is why Unity is the main DE, and not a Windows 95-esque DE like Gnome 2 or XFCE.

And for 'normal' people, ones whose computer using habits are not already shaped by Windows or Gnome 2, or who likely don't even have any computer using habits, who just expect their system to work without fuss, Ubuntu does work.

(for the record, I'm an experienced computer user, Ubuntu also works for those who like keyboard shortcuts, it can do anything any other Linux distro can, it's very efficient for pros as well as newbs, but that's just not the point)

Edit - another way to put it - 100% of existing Linux users =\ 200 million users (Ubuntu goal)
    Last edited by Mikeb85; November 8th, 2011 at 02:33 AM.

Beans

Re: 'Linux people' don't matter

Maybe.

But WHO will spread Ubuntu then?

It's not like Canonical has an advertising budget.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Ubuntu is NOT Linux for Linux people. If you use or have ever used Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, or if you work out of a terminal, you are NOT Ubuntu's target audience. Ubuntu might work for you, but you don't matter. Kind of how Mac OS-X is not geared towards FreeBSD or PC-BSD users, it's geared towards normal people (but especially hipsters).
    <mild sarcasm>
    This is especially noticeable by the way the Ubuntu Operating System comes with all the codecs you need to play mp3 files and all kinds of video out of the box, and the way it has all the closed binary drivers you need for all kinds of hardware.
    </mild sarcasm>

Seriously, I'd be delighted if Ubuntu with Unity could establish a wider audience, but, my experiences with confronting students with my laptop suggests otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    <mild sarcasm>
    This is especially noticeable by the way the Ubuntu Operating System comes with all the codecs you need to play mp3 files and all kinds of video out of the box, and the way it has all the closed binary drivers you need for all kinds of hardware.
    </mild sarcasm>
    I installed 11.10 today on a computer. You check a single box during installation, and all the codecs do get downloaded and installed... As do proprietary nVidia drivers.
    Last edited by Mikeb85; November 8th, 2011 at 12:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post
    Maybe.

But WHO will spread Ubuntu then?

It's not like Canonical has an advertising budget.
    Guarantee that changes when 12.04 LTS is released. Until then, normal, happy users will spread it.

Not grumpy Linux users who are lamenting the loss of their beloved Gnome 2 panels or who complain about how hard it is to open a terminal...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

+1 to the entire post!

Quote Originally Posted by keithpeter View Post
    <mild sarcasm>
    </mild sarcasm>
    This is caused by legal issues.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans

Agreed to all.

I've been using Debian as my main OS for a long time, now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Not grumpy Linux users who are lamenting the loss of their beloved Gnome 2 panels or who complain about how hard it is to open a terminal...

I feel that all the grumpy Linux users will move to Linux Mint or Ultimate Linux where they will use Gnome Classic & Compiz with effects. Debian may make a comeback.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgar View Post
    I feel that all the grumpy Linux users will move to Linux Mint or Ultimate Linux where they will use Gnome Classic & Compiz with effects. Debian may make a comeback.
    I dont think Debian went anywhere to come back from
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast