Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ununtu Repositories for 11.10 PPC

Beans

Re: Ununtu Repositories for 11.10 PPC

I finally have 11.10 on my G5, after a fashion...

Mini iso 64 bit 11.04 installed cli
    Upgraded to 11.10 cli
    couldn't use tasksel because of a broken dependency in ubuntu-desktop. Had to install a lower version of unity-common then apt-get install ubuntu-desktop worked
    rebooted (still the 'old' kernel only) and got a nice login screen but a mess of colours once logged in. Updated the unity-common package (which uninstalled ubuntu-desktop and unity packages, but these are metas so it doesn't matter too much)
    Rebooted again and it all works, more or less. One weirdness is that the applet in the top panel shows I have no connection but I'm writing this on Firefox right now from the machine...
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    Thanks for that gem :-/
    My point is the average user out there doesn't know what PowerPC is and would know the term PPC to mean Pocket PC. There are pocket pc OS's out there so when people use the PPC term it's easy to confuse people.

Mac RISC CPU are PowerPC not PPC. Try to understand the language we've all agreed on..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zenstate View Post
    My point is the average user out there doesn't know what PowerPC is and would know the term PPC to mean Pocket PC. There are pocket pc OS's out there so when people use the PPC term it's easy to confuse people.

Mac RISC CPU are PowerPC not PPC. Try to understand the language we've all agreed on..
    Wow, you couldn't let it go could you? Seriously, you went to the trouble of registering with ubuntuforums just to tell us we're using 3 letters wrong?

Actually, PPC can stand for a lot of things in computing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPC . PowerPC is one of them.

This thread is posted in the Apple forum "Discussions for users who are using Apple Intel or PPC based systems with Ubuntu". For the vast majority of people using the Apple forum they will fully understand that PPC is short for PowerPC.

Pocket PC if I am not mistaken is a Microsoft term is it not (and one they have now stopped using)? You could equally argue that Pocket PC should only be abbreviated to P/PC to stop confusion.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

@pauljwells Glad you got 11.10 working! I'm suprised you had to start with 11.04 because don't the G5's have sata?
    Last edited by rsavage; November 20th, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added a bit more about the P/PC abbreviation.

Beans

My thoughts exactly @rsavage! Thanks for saving me from having to respond!
    The problem with my G5 is the 3.0 kernel. There's a new world of 'obscure' I'm going to have to learn to solve this one I think - into the lair of the Debian kernel hackers...

By the way - the weird colours I reported was actually unity 3D running! (very badly, but it's a start) and I'm getting nearly 500fps on glxgears so the nouveau drivers are improving. Looks like there might be a future for PP, 'oops' I mean 'PowerPC RISC architecture' CPUs after all.

@zenstate - Please don't troll, and don't hijack threads. Come back if you have a technical question, or better still, a technical answer, (like how to get the 3.0 kernel to boot on a G5 for example) then you might earn the right to lecture us on minutiae.
    Last edited by pauljwells; November 20th, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Registered Linux User #407403

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234