Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Cores in a Cellphone ?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Four Cores in a Cellphone ?

Quote Originally Posted by andras artois View Post
    EVERY SINGLE TIME new technology is released people are always saying 'oh we don't need it blah blah blah' or 'maybe in 5 years'. SHUT UP. Do you not want technology to progress? Do you not understand the idea of progression? Anyone who ever says this is thick. Like denser than a brick thick.
    It's a freakin' phone, for crying out loud. Phones are for making phone calls to people.

Yes, I do have an Android-based smart phone. Honestly, phones are too small a form factor to be useful for much that would require such processing power, at least in their present form. Even things like Siri doesn't require a quad-core. Maybe when they change form to be linked to your optical and cochlear nerves and they are completely driven by speech and brain waves, then they will need more processing power. But in their current form, they're pretty much practically useless for any application that needs that kind of horsepower.

My single core Droid X can easily handle any app I've thrown at it. My tablet is larger, and has more possibilities than my phone, so I'm more open to its need for the dual core processor that it has.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Perhaps the increased processing power will open up opportunities we haven't realised yet and won't realise until we already have the processing power to do it.

3D models of CAD work, complex mathematical problems, computer in a pocket.

At the end of the day new models cost pretty much the same as the previous generation and at the very worst its technological advancement for the sake of it which, lets face it, isn't a bad thing.

Yeah it won't make a difference to most people but at worst you'll get thinner phones that last longer on a single charge. I just think it's dumb to complain about more impressive tech being rolled out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andras artois View Post
    Perhaps the increased processing power will open up opportunities we haven't realised yet and won't realise until we already have the processing power to do it.

3D models of CAD work, complex mathematical problems, computer in a pocket.

At the end of the day new models cost pretty much the same as the previous generation and at the very worst its technological advancement for the sake of it which, lets face it, isn't a bad thing.

Yeah it won't make a difference to most people but at worst you'll get thinner phones that last longer on a single charge. I just think it's dumb to complain about more impressive tech being rolled out.
    Do you really think anyone would do CAD on a phone? If they tape it to their eyeball maybe. I am in the field of Computational Science, let me put it this way: nobody would ever do complex math or CAD or anything else of that nature on a phone. For simple test runs, you go to a laptop and if you want to do a real problem, you go to the cluster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Do you really think anyone would do CAD on a phone? If they tape it to their eyeball maybe. I am in the field of Computational Science, let me put it this way: nobody would ever do complex math or CAD or anything else of that nature on a phone. For simple test runs, you go to a laptop and if you want to do a real problem, you go to the cluster.
    Not necessarily making but displaying a true 3d model but maybe a 3d map, in really big detail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread amuses me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    That's just ridiculous. Who is going to have three intensive threads running at the same time on a smartphone? Maybe five years in the future. Not today.
    http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&s...q=race+to+idle

Beans

Seriously though what would people be doing with their phones that they would need that kind of processing power? It seems like overkill to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    That's only relevant if you have a workload that will be meaningfully accelerated by multithreading. That isn't most of them.

Beans
    Hidden!

I remember buying a computer many years ago with a 2 GB hard drive. I was thinking that I would never fill it up.

along with wolfen69

It's a shame how history repeats itself.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; November 9th, 2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

What?! Why would you even need four cores?!?!

I seriously cannot think of anyone who would even end up needing four cores on even their computer.

I'm going to go bang my head against a wall at how heavy "mobile" OSes must be getting.

Edit- Also, there go my dreams of having ICS running smoothly on my 800MHz Aria.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast